Trying to choose a sling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to choose a sling

OK, I have decided on getting a couple more slings (how could I resist lol) I am getting a G. rosea because I am in ore of my brothers lol and I think I will truly have a collection with one of them.But I am now stuck on a second sling I am choosing between, B. smithi,B. boehmei,A. versicolor and A. metallica. Any preferences??? lol Pros and cons? lol.

Currently i dont have arboreal slings so would need to set up housing and such.

The Brachy's are slow growers, but easier to keep more compared to the Avics...

There seems to be some difficulty in maintaining the high humidity and good ventilation with these sp.

The versicolor and metallica however are stunning spiders and if you don't have any arboreals I would recommend going for the pretty tree dwellers, just for something different.

What I do is use a mesh lid for arboreal slings secured with a rubber band on the top of the jar with a small piece of cork bark to climb on, does the job well!

Whatever one you choose you'll enjoy, they're all great spiders.
    All those legs and not a pair of shoes in sight... Nice tarsus tho...

Comment

Excellent choice with the G. rosea. I really need to get one but I keep getting sidetracked by Avic's

I have a juv B. boehmei who is absolutely stunning. She is slightly more skittish than my B. emilia and B. vagans but not aggressive in any way. She skuttles off into her hide when I open her tank. I dont see her much just now as I think she has a moult pending (she will probably keep me waiting a while longer though). She is normally out in the open most of the time.

Plus points for the Brachy's
      1. beautiful
      2 reasonably docile
      3 hardy

minus points for the Brachy's
      1. slow growing (although I dont mind in the slightest)
      2. too beautiful to choose just one

Avics are stunning but as Robert says, not so easy to care for. I have heard a lot of people having them die as slings. I have 5 A. versicolor slings, 1 A. purpurea sling and have ordered 2 A braunshauseni slings due to arrive next week. I worry more about my Avic's than any of the others because of the mortality rate although a lot of people have had them through to adulthood.

Plus points for the Avic's
      1. Gorgeous
      2. docile but quick (always running up my hand when feeding or watering)
      3. fabulous eaters
      4. Excellent webbing

Minus points for Avic's
      1. care, its difficult to get the right balance between humidity and ventilation. Too wet and you get mould. Too dry and the T's get dehydrated. Plenty of airholes helps
      2. speed (very fast compared to Brachy's but not a real problem)

Hope that helps
      Elaine

Give me all your Avics !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine Ross View Post
        Excellent choice with the G. rosea. I really need to get one but I keep getting sidetracked by Avic's

I have a juv B. boehmei who is absolutely stunning. She is slightly more skittish than my B. emilia and B. vagans but not aggressive in any way. She skuttles off into her hide when I open her tank. I dont see her much just now as I think she has a moult pending (she will probably keep me waiting a while longer though). She is normally out in the open most of the time.

Plus points for the Brachy's
        1. beautiful
        2 reasonably docile
        3 hardy

minus points for the Brachy's
        1. slow growing (although I dont mind in the slightest)
        2. too beautiful to choose just one

Avics are stunning but as Robert says, not so easy to care for. I have heard a lot of people having them die as slings. I have 5 A. versicolor slings, 1 A. purpurea sling and have ordered 2 A braunshauseni slings due to arrive next week. I worry more about my Avic's than any of the others because of the mortality rate although a lot of people have had them through to adulthood.

Plus points for the Avic's
        1. Gorgeous
        2. docile but quick (always running up my hand when feeding or watering)
        3. fabulous eaters
        4. Excellent webbing

Minus points for Avic's
        1. care, its difficult to get the right balance between humidity and ventilation. Too wet and you get mould. Too dry and the T's get dehydrated. Plenty of airholes helps
        2. speed (very fast compared to Brachy's but not a real problem)

Hope that helps
        Elaine
        Almost forgot another bad point for Avics...

Seem to use excrement as a defense tactic - and they have surprisingly good aim so watch out!

Oh and they'll jump readily too.

Comment

Hi Abi,
          Can I say something on this. I own 4 Brachys; a bohemi, a smithi, an auratum and a baumgarteni. I also own an adult male Avic versicolour and a huge adult male Avic metallica. I'd personally go for an Avic because although they're quieter during the daytime they're always up to something at night and full of fun. If you use moss on the substrate then humidity is much less of a problem. Where Brachys are concerned they are perfect display spiders but unless you get a nutter (like my baumgarteni) they're almost too easy to look after. The only drawback with Avics is that when they go to the loo they try to paint the inside of the tank rather than aiming at the substrate, so they need a little more cleaning. Of course you could get one of each?
          sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Originally posted by nicoladolby View Post
            Of course you could get one of each?
            Don't tempt me lol. I think I will be getting a B. Smithi and I will try and talk the other half into letting me have the A. metalica too lol

Comment

Originally posted by Abi Skeet View Post
              Don't tempt me lol. I think I will be getting a B. Smithi and I will try and talk the other half into letting me have the A. metalica too lol
              The A metallica is stunning, you must buy... now lol

Comment

just about to order the slings but got a couple of questions first.I have a jar with mesh at the top and a long strip of cork bark for the avic. But just wondering how much substrate to put at the bottom and would a mix of vermiculite and coir be efficient??? thanks

Comment

Hi Abi
                  For the Avic, I would put just a couple of inches of substrate in the bottom. I'm using a mix of cocnut coir and vermiculite and it seems to work ok.
                  Good luck with your new slings
                  Elaine

Comment

OK will set it up like that then.
                    Have just ordered a G. rosea (1cm) and A. versicolor (2cm) Cant wait. Will post pics when they come

Comment

I will look forward to your pics then Abi

Just remember that those little A. versi's are quick little so and so's lol. I had all 5 of mine running up my arm this morning when I was trying to feed them. Thank goodness my daughter was there with an extra pair of hands.

Good luck
                      Elaine

Comment

OK I will keep that in mind and try and devise a way of feeding it without it escaping lol.

Comment

Good choice with the G.rosea,my first T! Be aware tho that they are really slow growers,got mine august 06,small filmpot sling,molted that month but the next molt wasn't until last february! Its just molted again,seems it molts twice a year,which means it'll be less when adult. Fab T tho,always out and about and a good eater. Likes it dry(maybe more humid when very small?) and doesn't need a heat mat-easy.
                          My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
                          Ray Gabriel

Comment

For my avic slings I have them housed in the usual vertial way, piece of cork bark etc.

I use moss as a substrate for the slings which coupled with a mesh lid seems to relate well to the high humidity/ventilation.

Comment

Working...
                            X