P pederseni sexing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P pederseni sexing?

The first Pokie I bought a P pederseni has shed over night. The skin sadly was totally trashed - I did try saving it but it just fell apart

Since she (or indeed he) is now abous 5 inches, is there a way to sex her without the skin?

I know with Regalis (I think) that only the females have the nice while colour where the males are more brownish..

Any ideas?

Cheers

Kain

Ahh man!

My B Schroderi has molted too, and it's a female!!

Wicked!

Kain

Comment

Congratulations on 2 successful moults

Sorry I cant help with sexing. I'm still having trouble with ID's nevermind sexing lol.

Elaine

Give me all your Avics !!!!!

Comment

Thats ok Elaine, I'm still not 100% postive that it is a P pederseni anyway - The place I bought it from (Prestwood Petzone) had it labled as something completly different!

Heres a pic anyway, sorry its abit crap

Kain
        Attached Files

Comment

Wow Kain, she is beautiful. I love the markings

Elaine

Give me all your Avics !!!!!

Comment

Looks like a male to me but im still not 100% if you look at the underside against some of the charts about poecilotheria markins it should be easy to tell what sp it is.

Comment

Without the shed skin the only real way to tell for certain is when they mature. I'v tried to guess many times and keep getting it wrong. I guess the best thing to do is wait for the next moult and try and rescue the shed exoskeleton, though going by the size of your spider if there's no embolus by then you probably got a female
              sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

It looks too dark to be female, I just looked to see if I have one of my girl, but the one I have isn't good enough
                spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

Probably male.
                  Take a pic on ventral shot.
                  What is his (her) size ?

Comment

good and bad

Hi again,
                    following on from this I have a P. striata which has just moulted and Kain's post inspired me to have a look and see if I could sex my own spider. So I dug the old exoskeleton out of the tank, got the BTS journal volume 22 No.1 for the article and with two eyebrow tweezers opened up the important area. I've done it! I have now officially sexed my first tarantula and my P. striata is male! So feeling all clever with myself I went to get the exoskeleton from my E. murinus who moulted a few days ago, and he/she's destroyed it! So if there's any way of sexing an E. murinus pre-maturation without the exoskeleton, please tell me?
                    sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Working...
                    X