Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally...she arrives in the ol' collection!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally...she arrives in the ol' collection!

Just had to post this, since I waited months before I could find one -

Sinister Sue

If anyone doesn't know,,,she's a Grammostola pulchra )

Congratulations!!! She is very beautiful and worth the wait. I have 2 G. pulchra slings at only 2cm but getting ready to moult. I'm so looking forward to the all black, velvety look.

Elaine

Give me all your Avics !!!!!

Comment

She's also a very pretty pulchra. That's one on my Christmas shopping list!
      sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

And mine Nicola.

She's beautiful Paul, well worth the wait.
        B. boehmei - T. blondi - G. rosea x 5 -
        C. cyaneopubescens - N. chromatus -
        L. parahybana - H. maculata x 2 - G. aureostriata
        P. irminia - P. murinus

Comment

Atunnig animals, are they really even more docile than G.Rosea as I've heard?

My Collection: - Support CB

Comment

Originally posted by Rich.Harrington View Post
            Atunnig animals, are they really even more docile than G.Rosea as I've heard?
            Hi paul

Gorgeous T!.... i would also like to know how docile they are, but as your holding her i'd say shes friendly enough!

One thing i've noticed being a newbie to Ts myself, is that G.Rosea are pushed as the most docile of all Ts and a great beginner, but having read alot about the different spiecies and read various forums, I've noticed that G.Rosea are very moody and a fair few are quite aggressive.
            For example, I read a bite report on another forum and G.Rosea was the number one offender! Although it could be that, as they are sold as a beginner spider, they are miss handled more by inexperienced owners, im not sure. Has anyone else noticed this or am i just bonkers?!
            Last edited by colin haris; 09-07-07, 04:23 PM.

Comment

You will probably find that if they are the number one biter - it's because people buy them and then want to play with them!

There not toys and react accordingly!
              Everyones an Expert! "Ex" is a has been - "spurt" is a strong gush of water! You decide............................

Comment

Originally posted by J M Clegg View Post
                You will probably find that if they are the number one biter - it's because people buy them and then want to play with them!

There not toys and react accordingly!
                Hi J M Clegg

Yeah i did say something along those same lines in my reply (see above)
                But it cant just be that, because i have spoke to experience T owners that say they have also noticed this...I'd like to hear from some G.Rosea owners on this forum, do any of you guys have a grumpy G.Rosea or are they all pussy cats really?

Comment

Originally posted by colin haris View Post
                  Hi J M Clegg

Yeah i did say something along those same lines in my reply (see above)
                  But it cant just be that, because i have spoke to experience T owners that say they have also noticed this...I'd like to hear from some G.Rosea owners on this forum, do any of you guys have a grumpy G.Rosea or are they all pussy cats really?

Early days at the moment but mine is normal placid as can be, it will tolerate me poking at it, taking it out for handling all day long with nothing more than a slight raise of a leg or two before calming back down. Of course the main reason I got one was for a species to handle, I have others in mind for pure display. L.parahybana being one example.

My Collection: - Support CB

Comment

Colin, I have 4 mate! 2 normal colour form adult females, 1 red form adult female and sling. I have never had any of them raise legs when I am poking about in their enclosures. Very easy going. In fact I often have to persuade one of them to move out of the way whilst I poke around.

I have a juvi Curley Hair that thinks it's Mike Tyson on Steroids though!!

I also have another spider that I bought as a Curley Hair sling, but that is clearly not a Curley Hair - it's all black like an adult H.Minax, only it's about 4cm in size and is completely radged! On it's back legs with fangs bared the minute the enclosure is opened. You don't want to even think about handling that one..................
                    Everyones an Expert! "Ex" is a has been - "spurt" is a strong gush of water! You decide............................

Comment

Originally posted by J M Clegg View Post
                      Colin, I have 4 mate! 2 normal colour form adult females, 1 red form adult female and sling. I have never had any of them raise legs when I am poking about in their enclosures. Very easy going. In fact I often have to persuade one of them to move out of the way whilst I poke around.

I have a juvi Curley Hair that thinks it's Mike Tyson on Steroids though!!

I also have another spider that I bought as a Curley Hair sling, but that is clearly not a Curley Hair - it's all black like an adult H.Minax, only it's about 4cm in size and is completely radged! On it's back legs with fangs bared the minute the enclosure is opened. You don't want to even think about handling that one..................
                      Hi J M Clegg

Four! wow! if you don't have an aggressive one out of all them then it must be rare to find an aggressive one, Its scary that you say your curly is a hand full coz i have a curly sling myself, I got him/her because they also have a good beginner reputation. Mine is a bit skittish but friendly at the moment at least ...i do hope one day to own a colbalt blue, but im gonna sick with the beginner Ts to gain more confidence first.

good luck with your black T...you'll have to let us know when you possitively I.D him/her

Comment

Originally posted by colin haris View Post
                        Hi J M Clegg

Four! wow! if you don't have an aggressive one out of all them then it must be rare to find an aggressive one,
                        I know - my thoughts exactly, 4 is probably the largest collection of non agressive G.Roseas in the country. I was lucky not to get my arm bitten off!

You know Colin, I think probably my six or seventh spider was an adult female H.Minax that is very aggressive, that followed by H.Lividum again a little fruit and nut case. Yet, I have never been bitten or attacked by either. My point was not that my G.Roseas are the most placid in the world and therefore they all must be that way. Each spider is different, has different personalities. Only with time and confidence do we get to a level where we can accurately say whether our particular spiders are aggressive or placid.

My radged curley is an example of this. An easy going beginners spider??????

The best thing to do is not put you or the spider in a position where they have to attack.

Thats all I was saying.

I hope that another couple of moults will accurately identify Cujo the black. At the moment - I honestly don't have a clue?

Comment

Each spider has it's own temperament, certainly, but as a genus, I think it's true to say that Grammostola sp. are docile, slow growers, that fast when they will, moult when they choose, and generally play havoc with our plans and theories!!

Mine certainly do!

Thanks for all of the kind words about Sinister Sue.

Comment

Got er....a few,
                            Grammostola genus is my main thing

rosea (8 NCF 4 RCF 2 OCF all mature) - 60% docile, 20% cranky, 20% downright satanic
                            aureostriata - (2 juvi's here, 4 adults at a friends house in quarantine) mainly calm (quite true about the gentle giant)
                            pulchra - (4 in quarantine) female's hmmmm, wouldn't have mine on my hands!! males calm
                            formosa - female, totally docile (even though she's (hopefully) preparing to give me a sac). Male, have to feed it with long tweezers (almost at the glass door when i slide it to feed)
                            actaeon - (in quarantine) very docile all four of them (2 juvi's, 2 mature)

Depends on the individual spider.

Jay, post a piccie, let us have a bash at guessing about Cujo
                            Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Working...
                            X