New Peruvian T?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Peruvian T?

I caught this on the ATS forum, a new 'alpine' Tarantula that lives in high altitude.

Mr Schulz seems to think it could be a "Grammostola monticola based on the admittedly very poor scanned photo posted in the other forum's announcement."

scanned pic courtesy of an arachnoboard member:
    My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
    Ray Gabriel

A tarantula that doesn't need heating, little humidity, can live on next to nothing and looks as good as that? How much are plane tickets to Peru?
    sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

that's pretty cool...just goes to show! nature has ways of adapting.
      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hi, my respect to Mr. Schultz but this tarantula is from the Cyriocosmus-Hapalotremus clade and not related to Grammostola at all...

I also doesn't understand why are You so exited? Many species exported from Chile, or many others from cloud forests of Costa-Rica were lived in the same conditions and kept and bred in captivity.
        All the best,
        Mikhail from Russia

Welcome to: http://tarantulas.tropica.ru

Comment

Hi Mikhail, I'm just passing on the news about a new T. I know very little about these things but I do now that living in high altitude poses problems for a spider!
          My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
          Ray Gabriel

Comment

Hi Larry!

No problems for spider itself, just for a keeper maintain the proper care and waiting for years to rais for some decent size. These highelanders also are famous to reject food for months...
            All the best,
            Mikhail from Russia

Comment

Hi Mikhail,
              You've really got me interested in these mountain tarantulas. Until now I only knew of the Pterinochilus in Kenya and Tanzania, as well as The Poecilotheria in Sri Lanka. Which others are there, and are there any websites I can look these up on to find out more? Many thanks.

Comment

Hi Nikola!

These are poorly known in the hobby not for the long time. Just several specimens were introduced for some time ago but rare. Now there's a plenty of different species named, wrongly named and unnamed imported in US (?) and Europe from Chile mountains and some claim as originated from Peru as well. THey're: Paraphysa spp, Euathlus spp, Thrixopelma spp... There're many topics on the Arachnoboard also can be found as well as photos.
                Not much info, especially om natural history known, but some like average to cool keeping requirements, small to medium size as well as very slow growing of spiderling are well-known.
                All the best,
                Mikhail from Russia

Comment

Thanks Mikhail,
                  That could really help as I've gt a T. pruriens and E. vulpinus. It'll be nice to learn more about them.

Comment

Working...
                  X