Grasshoppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grasshoppers

Any one use these as food for there Tarantula's?

As I have just saved myself a fiver on crickets.

Gary

Know of people using them, the only problem you have (if you've wild caught them) is that both locusts and grasshoppers (cockroaches as well i'm almost positive) can store toxins, harmless to them but can be passed on to the predator (be it reptile amphibian or invert)
    Just make sure they're from a chemicle free area, if you're not sure don't use 'em.
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

i've bought them at the shop...only problem is they're more able to leap out to safety from my open-topped scorpion tank...plus, they're a fair sight cuter than crickets, and so i almost feel bad for them!
      well, i feel bad for the crickets, too...though one of the "silent" crickets sang til 4am, thus waking me up, forcing me to catch the little blighter (which was bloody hard) and chuck it in with a more hungry T to shut it up (permanently).
      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Shouldn't be a problem with shop bought ones, What scopions do you keep, my S maurus is the only scorp that will touch locusts, the P. imperators & cavimanus are cricket only eaters, weird that eh?

I know what you mean about these silent crickets.....silent untill they get their wings !!!!

I drop a little honey on the males' wings, firstly, it stops them chirping & secondly, the others eat the honey and destroy the wings, also gut loads them at the same time.

Comment

interesting solution to the chirping problem!!! i'll have to keep that in mind. i've just been relying on knocking them into the jaws of death or catching them and putting them with a more hungry animal.

strange. my P imperators eat hoppers and locusts sometimes! though i've not tried them for a while...
          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
          -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Other peoples P.imperators eat everything too, not my awquard lot,
            I have five breeding adults in a 4ft x 1ft x 15 inch tank and I can feed all five crickets with tweezers and they take them, try a hopper and they back away (be it live or dead)

The S. maurus eats anything smaller than your average family saloon. fiesty little thing it is, very aggressive, very mardy, very brazen... imagine an OBT on steroids and you're half way there !!!

Comment

i'll definitely have to get a S. maurus at some point. very cool!
              strange about your P. imperators though lol
              i got 3 of my 5 at the BTS convention and neglected to specify that at least one be female...so i randomly ended up with 3 males, meaning i have one female, who seems to be past childbearing, and 4 males...so no babies for me, sadly...though i've seen one of the males trying!

but come to think of it, there were loads of times that locusts and hoppers didn't get eaten before they naturally passed away, so maybe they're just not the preferred food animal for P. imperators.
              they'll eat mealworms, if i hand them to them...but if they dig then they never get eaten, so i'm more or less given up on them.

my T's seem more partial to crickets as well...haven't tried roaches though yet.
              -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

James,
                If i put mealworms in the tank they just let them bury themselves (they even pick them out of the dish and put them on the substrate and watch them dig down) and when they reappear as beetles the scorps just chase them around with no interest in eating them. quite comical to watch, no positive end result though.
                Problem with my house, no animal stays as it should...they all turn into retards...following the human occupants i suppose!!!

Comment

haha! well i suppose they've got to get some entertainment somehow. mine just climb the glass while i play guitar, sometimes...
                  -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

My adult P. imperators will only eat locusts Colin, I've tried them with crickets but they won't touch them. Though having said that, they've not eaten much recently.
                    B. boehmei - T. blondi - G. rosea x 5 -
                    C. cyaneopubescens - N. chromatus -
                    L. parahybana - H. maculata x 2 - G. aureostriata
                    P. irminia - P. murinus

Comment

Getting more weird by the minute, a friend has three females living together and they will only eat dead items and fresh meat, plus they have it in a food bowl and won't eat anything off the subsrate...now thats finiky.

Comment

wow, they are very strange and eccentric animals, aren't they?
                        i got some of the gellified water recently, and i put that in their tank...too of them seem to really like sitting in it.
                        they're all pretty fat, so they seem to be eating the crickets i give them too...plus the absence of crickets is a subtle hint
                        -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

You're telling me they're strange, i have a photo somewhere of his three all round a chicken wing munching away, i'll try and sort through the boxes of old photo's, scan it in and post it up.

Comment

fantastic! i'd love to try mine on some bbq wings!
                            -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Yeah just thinking same sort of thing,
                              would give a whole new meaning to a KFC bargain bucket eh?

Comment

Working...
                              X