Mr. Basic still rocks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Basic still rocks!

I couldn't imagine my collection - or any other! - without at least one stalwart, Brachypelma smithi. Easy to see why they joined the CITES list, but so satisfying that they are now captive bred all over the world, including here in darkest Africa!

Here are two moult pics...

and after returning from work...

Thanks for looking...

Beautifal, mine's about to go through a very similar process any day now by the looks of it!
    All those legs and not a pair of shoes in sight... Nice tarsus tho...

Comment

Great colouring on that Smithi, very chunky legs also - maybe a female?

I swapped my Smithi (mature male) for a small A.Genic, which I am hoping will be equally as good to look at when full size, but I did buy a 4" L.Parahybana as a replacement and whilst it is a more interesting spider to watch in terms of "time out of the hide", hunting and generally quicker moving - it sure isn't as pretty to look at !!

Comment

B. Smithis are beautiful creatures, a lot darker in the carapace than I expected. I think every spider keeper should have a Brachypelma, they are so cute and gentle they are completely addictive.
        sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Martin View Post
          Great colouring on that Smithi, very chunky legs also - maybe a female?
          From your mouth to God's ears, Neil..!

Thanks for the time spent viewing my pics folks. I know B. smithi are not as trendy as many other species, but they are still drop-dead gorgeous, in my humble opinion and always stop me in my tracks! lol

Comment

She is beautiful Paul. She may not be trendy but those that dont think so are definitely missing out.

Elaine

Give me all your Avics !!!!!

Comment

well you have a particularly beautiful specimen!
              what part of Africa are you from? must be some fascinating native species as well!! i'd love to be able to just find beautiful T's...
              Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
              -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
              My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hey Elaine - Thanks for the kind words; very true!

@ James - I am in Johannesburg, South Africa, and yes, we have some magnificent species fairly freely available in the wild. However, legislation prevents their removal from the wild and the closest I get to seeing them is on the 'net!!

Comment

Working...
                X