Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water source for T's that can't be tipped/dumped?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water source for T's that can't be tipped/dumped?

I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow and have one problem, my Acanthoscurria geniculata. I have five Ts altogether. To see which look at my sig. Of all the Ts this A geniculata is rowdy, feisty, spunky, active, rambunctuous. It's a juvenile almost three inches in span. It's fast and has a voracious appetite.

This T throws the spagnum around and dumps its water dish, every time, within a very short time. That's ok if I'm around to refill it. But I'll be gone for two weeks and all the Ts will be on their own.

I have two questions. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to provide a water source this T can't mess with?

And will this T be all right for two weeks without water?
    Lasiodora parahybana (Brazilian salmon-pink birdeater, 3 years old)

Nhanda vulpinus
    Acanthoscurria geniculata
    Selenocosmia javanensis (Java Yellow Knee/birdeater)
    Chilean Rose (rescued from Homeplus where it had the run of the roost).

If all your spiders have a decent meal before you, and there's no chance of the room they're in getting extreemly hot then all your spiders should be ok without water for a couple of weeks.
    the only risks really are any thinner spiders who may not have enough resources to last, and any spiders that may moult whilst you're away (if it's very dry in their tank being the problem)
    feed them just before you go and make sure there's water available at the start as well and you should be ok.
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

I'm going to put down a few extra water dishes, as well. No, the room won't be too hot. A draft will be coming in through an open screen door/balcony. I've been feeding them all alot the last couple of days. Especially the 2 juveniles(each about 3 inches across) which are 'always hungry'.

With the Lassie I can throw in a couple of crickets, would that be a good idea? I just moulted so there's no danger of the live crickets catching the Lassie in a moult.
      Lasiodora parahybana (Brazilian salmon-pink birdeater, 3 years old)

Nhanda vulpinus
      Acanthoscurria geniculata
      Selenocosmia javanensis (Java Yellow Knee/birdeater)
      Chilean Rose (rescued from Homeplus where it had the run of the roost).

Comment

I know this may sound daft, but if you weigh the dish down then the spider can't move it. If the volume allows put some small pebbles in to weigh it down. The easiest way without effecting volume is to put something metallic with a wide surface area (lke a 50p) at the bottom of the bowl and stick a heavy magnet underneath. The substrate will support the magnet and your spider wo'nt be able to move the bowl.
        Last edited by Nicola Dolby; 21-07-07, 09:00 AM.
        sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

i don't know if this is something you would want to do, but what i've done before for other animals, is hoist the water dish up on the side of the tank, about 1/2"-2" off the substrate, depending on how big the T is. get a little strip of duct tape and tape the dish (if it's a bottle cap type thing) to the side of the enclosure. that way, the spider won't be able to push dirt in it, or tip it over, but will still be able to get a drink!

Comment

Working...
          X