spiders on bananas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spiders on bananas

hi, weve had an intresting few weeks recently that id thought id share with you all.
    On the 25th june my mother in law found an eggsac on a bunch of bananas, she rang the shop where she got the bananas from and they told her to pop them in the freezer and bring them back to the shop to sent off for identification, she told them that with two spider lovers in the family she wouldnt, she was then asked to bring the bag in and they will scan the bar code and tell what country the bananas came from, after telling them she no longer had the bag they said they wish the best of luck.
    We placed the banana in a cricket pot, the eggsac is was about 2cm in length. The slings themselves were approx 3mm with a jet black carapce and abdomen and bright red legs and white on the part where the fangs come from {apoligies dont the name of that part}.
    We placed 2balls of wet cotton wool to build up the humidity.
    Alot of the slings were already dead, we put down to stress, lack of the right conditions and cannabilisation, 8 of the slings we could see were alive and well.
    We contacted Ray Gabriel/Richard Gallon about them and they said it was most probaly a type of Sparrasid/hetropoda, after searching the net we decided that they wernt that as the shape of the slings were differant.
    4 days later we moved two of the slings in to camera cases with fruit fly even though the flies were bugger than the slings we still hoped that they would feed, unfortunatly they both died over that and we decided not to move anymore, whilst we moved them the discorved there was more of them we added fruitfly to the cricket pot and a few ate.
    6th July the banana had started going mouldy and we decided it was time to move the slings, i opened the lid straight off {which was stupid of me} looked in and thought they arent fruitfly running around and quickly put the lid back on.
    We started moving them and noticed they are highly alert, quick, some were quite aggressive. We was using a thin stick to move them and as we moved the stick towards one it put up a front leg and waved at us, we moved back and it did again, {they also communicatd with each other} we placed fruitfly in with each and some jumped which led me to believe they are a type of jumping spider, one was completly differant color to the rest being a mottled grey/brown color with little tufts of the front legs. Altogether there were 41 slings, that built little hammock like webs at the top of the pots, which made think that these were not jumpers {i didnt think jumpers made webs}.We numbered each pot aswell and checked them daily.
    5days later 1 shed and 2 dead and 1 that had vanaished {there was noway it could of got out}, the next day 2more had died and the next day there was a substancial loss.
    We tried feeding fruitfly and micro crix both to big for the slings.
    After a couple of days of sunshine and had a brainwave, i collected some blackfly and aphids being small and slow i thought they would be perfect, we put a couple in each pot and left them to it for a few days.
    Unfortnatly we now have lost the majority of the slings but the upside we still have 6 that are eating and are general well, we still do not know what they are and not holding my hopes up about the others surviving, they are facsinating to watch and are brilliant stalkers sneaking up on their prey from behind.
    We put the dead ones into the freezer to preserve them, as i would like to send them off to get identified if possible.
    Thankyou for listening to me ramble on and will keep you all updated.

Hi Rebecca,

I know this might sound like stating the obvious but they sound like Brazilian Banana spiders of the Nephila (i think) genus.
    the males and females hatch out the same size, but there is a substantial growth rate difference, the females having the "furry" femors.
    when they get more adult colouration the females should take on a more yellow appearence whereas the males stay a sort of brown / tan.

can you post pictures?
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

nephilas did come up on a search i did on spider found on bananas, but i thought they made orb like webs and dont jump, where as mine made hammock type webs and look more like a jumper, but then again ive never seen a nephila that small, so not ruling out possibilites.
      I can not post pics at presant as my digi wont take photos of anything that small, and had to borrow a old film camera, once the pics have been processed i will post them up.

Comment

i thort about nephila as well.
        when i was little my mum bort some bananas from morrisons and there was a spider in the bunch. mum rang morrisons up and told them and they sent one of there people down to see. they took the spider away and then they rang my mum and told her it was a wondering spider.
        i was 4 when i found it and i played with it in its web. mum was sick she said when she found out what it really was. since then i have liked spiders. i hope you find out that they are wondering spiders as they are really nice and dont diserve to get nasty things said about them as they are nice spids. i think the real name is phoneutra. but they ARE really danjerus and they can kill you but they are nice and cute. when they bite you the venom gets at the nerves in your body and thats how they kill you. the wondering spid was my first liking of spids so i lerned about wondering spids first.
        i hope you find what yours are. good luck.
        love sonny xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Sonny,
          If you did find a Brazilian wandering spider (Phoneutria fera,
          Phoneutria nigriventer etc) and didn't get bitten then you are extremely lucky, 9/10 they are very agressive towrds people and the venom is incredibly potent making it without a doubt the most venomous spider in the new world. Wether or not it is the most venomous spider in the world remains to be seen (on wikipedia it lists the nothern funnel-web spider as the most venomous). If it is the Brazilian wandering spider Rebecca I advise you to leave it alone. A way to tell if it is the brazilian wandering spider is by it's fangs they should be red. Thats the only way I know To idendtify Phoneutria species.
          "If you play with fire you'll get burned". Well I keep tarantulas so does that mean I'm going to get bitten even if I'm ultra-super-careful?

Short Answer: Yes (I have)(twice!!)(off a G.Rosea!!)

Comment

The way to tell Phoneutria sp. is they all have bright red chelirae. I believe there are 5 or 6 species recorded, of which the most common killer is the Phoneutria nigroventer. This has nothing to do with venom, it just lives nearer people (Sao Paulo region). The reason for its reputation is to do really with primarily antivenom. In 1973 antivenom for the other killer, Atrax robustus (Sydney funnel web) was developed and as far as I recall no-oe has died from an Atrax bite since. As for potency, it doesn't matter whether one has 18 times more deadly venom than the other, without aid they'd both kill (except possibly the female A. robustus, weaker venom than the male). The other problem with Phoneutria is that the venom contains seratonin, resulting in the bite being extremely painful (forget morphine, try anaesthetic)! Thats all I know I'm afraid, try contacting Martin Nicholas for more, and if you can get a couple of pictures send them off to Richard Gallon, he's really good at 'true spiders' and all that.
            good luck
            sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

the chelirae on the spidera are white so im guessing they arent a wandering, the legs are red though, they are proving quite hard to feed only managed to get the to eat black fly, but with all the rain we have been having there are none about, anybody got any suggestions on what else i could feed them bear in mind they are only a couple of mill big.

Comment

Send an e-mail to these people, www.britishspiders.org.uk and they should be able to help. They helped me when I acquired a Steatoda grossa under similar circumstances.

Comment

the colour in the chelirea doesent come out till they are juvis so it will be hard to tell. i dont know what baby wonderings are like.
                  the one i found is at bishop burton college and is still alive. mum got lots of free food and stuff but we dident know it was a killing spid when i was 4. thats why i started to like spiders and got my first one when i was 5 i now have over 200 T's.

Comment

There are a few people who have over a hundred that I know of. I'm just an amateur collecter in comparison. What amazes me is where you house them all. There must be some people on here with very big houses!

Comment

having pets as i put it in banana boxes is normal i use to work in Morrison's on we got them about every 3 months, i had a lovey moth, you keep an eye out as you get to the bottom of the box lol nice and hot and wet in there for them.

Comment

unfortunatly all but one are now dead.
                        How do i go about sending the dead specimens off for identification?
                        i know the chances of this last one to live are slim, but would still like to know what type they were.
                        Cheers

Comment

i wont say where i was working but the shop manager sed to me that he wont pay for the moth to be looked at by a vet even that its the law

Comment

Quick update: After getting in contact with British spiders.org.uk, i was asked to send them some {preserved in ipa}, after a couple of days i got this reply:
                            Hello Rebecca

The spiders arrived safely. They are, as you suspected, jumping spiders - family Salticidae. This is the most diverse spider family in the world with 5,088 species currently recognised, so without an adult it is not possible to specify further. I will take some photos down the microscope to send to you but probably won't get a chance to do so until next week.

Will post pics of them if anyone is intrested to see them.

Comment

Definitely interested in microphotography shots Rebecca.
                              Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Working...
                              X