Advice for second spider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for second spider

I am fairly happy now with my G.rosea so I was wondering what would be a good second species for me. Should i stick to the really docile like g.rosea, b.smithi etc or should I move on to something a bit more chanllenging eg. B.Boehmei, C.cyaneopubscens. I am asking because I have 1 spider and it my first so should i stay away from the more challenging species or go straight onto them. All views are welcome.
    Thanks
    Sam
    "If you play with fire you'll get burned". Well I keep tarantulas so does that mean I'm going to get bitten even if I'm ultra-super-careful?

Short Answer: Yes (I have)(twice!!)(off a G.Rosea!!)

Hi Sam
    Its difficult to advise someone about which tarantula to choose because everyone has different likes and dislikes.

I started with a B. vagans who can be quite aggressive over his water dish but is so beautiful. Then I got my B. boehmei. What a hair kicker she is and very skittish. Stunningly beautiful though

The A. geniculata is a beautiful T but are aggressive feeders. Not a problem really.

C. cyaneopubescens are simply stunning. They are skittish but not overly defensive, produce loads of webbing and great feeders.

Maybe you would be best to pick a few that you like and then ask here about the pro's and con's of each one.

Elaine

Give me all your Avics !!!!!

Comment

If you're happy with the Grammostola genus there are others in there that available G pulchra, G formosa nice black sturdy T's and G aureostriata, a lovely gentle giant that shows nice colouration and patterning. both kept similarly to your existing spider
      The Brachypelma's are always a good bet for a docile spider that has wonderful colouration. Again easy to keep.
      If you fancy a change and wish to have a bash at an arboreal species then A avicularia are easy to keep and in my opinion are generally quite an active species to watch, you could uprate a little in this genus and go for an A versicolor.
      this being said if you feel responsible to have a bash at a spider that requies a little more time and effort then the world is your oyster, there's plenty of caresheets, advice and knowledge here to help you through the early starting off period
      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

cheers elaine
        "If you play with fire you'll get burned". Well I keep tarantulas so does that mean I'm going to get bitten even if I'm ultra-super-careful?

Comment

thanks colin

Comment

Why not try an arboreal? It'll give you some variety.

Most people wouldn't recommend Poecilotheria as a starter spider, but to be honest most are seriously over-rated when it comes to aggression and speed. A well housed Poecilotheria is no more difficult to maintain than traditional 'starter species'. So long as you don't go for Poecilotheria ornata, you'll be fine. As with any animal respect its capabilities - ie venom strength. If your budget allows Poecilotheria metallica is a particularly calm member of the genus and good looking too. I often wonder what people must do to these to get threat postures for photography!

Poecilotheria are fast growing so why not start with a spiderling. It's an excellent way of getting used to dealing with any species. Your experience grows gradually along with the spider.

Richard

Comment

Working...
            X