hysterocrates ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hysterocrates ????

hello there can somebody help me with this .
    this hysterocrates is sold to me as a hercules but i'm sure of that.

i hope the pictures are good enough i'm not a good photographer

certainly looks like an immature h hurcules

Comment

Looks like an unidentifed Hysterocrates probably "pet trade" so douptfull of full pedigree.

NO ONE knows if H. Hercules is actually in the hobby, and an interesting thing about exporters price lists is that they will have H. gigas small medium and large, H. ederi small medium and large but ONLY large and extra large H. hercules also at a higher price.

Strange that no small or medium H. hercules???????

I have seen the type and it is not that big a spider, it honestly makes me wonder what all the fuss is about, but then again the name "H.hercules" sort of hints at a large spider and a higher price.

I advise everyone NOT to buy any H hercules from any dealer, they are only selling Hysterocrates sp under a convenient name which also hints at a larger price, and the dealers have NEVER had the identification confirmed.

I think that any honest dealer would post thier full list on websites rather than links to a closed website, if thier list is not publicly posted to be seen dont buy from them.

Just my tuppence worth

Ray

Comment

I have just heard that there might be another fresh import of wild caught Hysterocrates due in a couple of months time.

These would be ideal for people to get to start with keeping/breeding/communual grouping of these amazing (even though they are African lol) spiders.

Watch this space for further details (and i mean this space, some dealers wil try to sell thier captive bred stuff as this new Import), when it arrives i will post up and say who they can be bought from.

Ray

Comment

i bought his hysterocrates for 35€ by thomas vinmann. i think thats a fair price for this beautifull specimen.

but i was just wandering if this could be hysterocrates spec nigeria , because he sells slings of them.then maybe i can raise a male for this lady.

Comment

are they communal??
            Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
            -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
            My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Gabriel View Post
              Looks like an unidentifed Hysterocrates probably "pet trade" so douptfull of full pedigree.

NO ONE knows if H. Hercules is actually in the hobby, and an interesting thing about exporters price lists is that they will have H. gigas small medium and large, H. ederi small medium and large but ONLY large and extra large H. hercules also at a higher price.

Strange that no small or medium H. hercules???????

I have seen the type and it is not that big a spider, it honestly makes me wonder what all the fuss is about, but then again the name "H.hercules" sort of hints at a large spider and a higher price.

I advise everyone NOT to buy any H hercules from any dealer, they are only selling Hysterocrates sp under a convenient name which also hints at a larger price, and the dealers have NEVER had the identification confirmed.

I think that any honest dealer would post thier full list on websites rather than links to a closed website, if thier list is not publicly posted to be seen dont buy from them.

Just my tuppence worth

Ray
              So Ray do you think that they generally H gigas being labelled as H hercules when they get big specimens?

Comment

vinmann said to me that the spec nigeria was communal

Comment

i apparently bought a H hurcules juv about 8 years ago from a breader in italy it certainly looked like one when i sold my collection i am not sure who i sold it to now and where it would be and i have no exuvium for it either.
                  cheers wes

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Gabriel View Post
                    I have just heard that there might be another fresh import of wild caught Hysterocrates due in a couple of months time.

These would be ideal for people to get to start with keeping/breeding/communual grouping of these amazing (even though they are African lol) spiders.

Watch this space for further details (and i mean this space, some dealers wil try to sell thier captive bred stuff as this new Import), when it arrives i will post up and say who they can be bought from.

Ray
                    Hi Ray
                    Has anything changed in respect to H hercules. We have a dealer here in SA selling H hercules. I don't know where they would have got them from, but is it now possible that they really are H hercules 'Goliath baboon'?

Comment

Just a thought. Bearing in mind the confuson over Hystocrates at the mo; perhaps in the interests of avoiding hybridisation those who are not buying from reliable sources like Ray and Thomas might consider buying a group of spiderlings from a batch and inter-breeding rather than getting one and looking to match it later. Having said that if you do need a Hystocrates I.d. doing for breeding Ray or one of the BTS committee will sort you out.
                      sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Originally posted by nicoladolby View Post
                        Having said that if you do need a Hystocrates I.d. doing for breeding Ray or one of the BTS committee will sort you out.
                        yes with a guess. Think at the moment the person most in the know would be Richard Gallon but then he is the one taking on the challenge of the revision of this genus.

Comment

True Chris. Its just that everyone keeps telling me how busy he is and as he's the only committee member who lives anywhere near me. Well I thought of pointing all those Hystocrates people in Richard's direction and then I thought of him appearing on my doorstep, red faced and brandishing dissection knives.....
                          sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Working...
                          X