Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Humidity, Adaptability and Embarrasment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humidity, Adaptability and Embarrasment.

Hello everyone,

This is a huge post containing questions, thoughts and a possible warning.
    I apologise in advance for it's novel like format.
    Here goes:

After reading the below thread written by Stan Schultz, I have a few questions shifting around the few millimeters of my brain.

I own ony one spider, an A. Geniculata, which apparently requires a humidity between 70% and 80%, I found Stan's thread quite interesting as the invasion of parasites and other nasty events is a worry to me. Especially at this time as we are experiencing a large presence of fruit fly and these other little black ones (possibly sciaridae) under and around our kitchen sink.
    I sincerley hope they are not phoridae.
    About 2 weeks ago I encountered quite a scare when I saw a small black fly zigging around the floor of the tank for the third time, I may have reacted a little on the irrational side and performed a substrate change. Unfortunately I failed to capture the offender to study.
    When it came to re-house, instead of the usual approach to coir, adding a fair amount of warm water and allowing to expand, I prepared it with less water and it's consistency was alot dryer before giving it a few minutes in the microwave as advised by many.

(See IMPORTANT NOTE at the bottom of post for details of a small disaster that occured, I don't want to stray away from my initial pondering just now).

When the new sub was ready, I gave it a light misting before returning my spider to it's home.

After the change I found my spider spending alot more time on the substrate, before now, he/she spent all the time elavated above ground level, wether on the sides of the enclosure or perched atop of the cork bark retreat, hardly ever residing on the ground.
    However the water dish has been visited more regular and is drinking the dish dry every two days. The dimensions of the dish are 4cm wide and 5mm deep.
    In addition he/she now attacks the tweezers when replacing the water dish after a refill. Like a bolt of lightening. Before hand this behaviour was not present.

So, How much of a necessity is 'high' humidity? I realise that during the molt, a tarantula may require a higher humidity level, although some may disagree. During the last molt my spider's humidity was maintained around 75% - 80% and all was dandio. Now it's a little dryer, no flies have entered the tank.

Can tarantula's adapt to a more dryer enviroment even if they originate from the more humid ones?
    Now I'm not refering to a drastic difference between levels, but could a tarantula that originates from the forest or lowlands (is this correct?) of Brazil be kept at a lower humidity level such as 50% or 60%?

Am I doing the wrong thing keeping the enclosure a little dryer considering the increased presence of flies? The fly situation is currently being dealt with although a little difficult, just when you think were rid of them more are noticed, I can't seem to capture one either. I am fully aware that fruit and fungus flies represent no threat, it's the other ones I can't catch I'm worried about.

I woud love to hear other opinions on this subject if at all possible.

Muchos respect

Tomas.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
    Now, after finding the fly and being quite worried, despite my embarrasment, stupidity and as much as i fear being ridiculed, (I am a total beginner and sometimes a little...well....ditsy) but I feel I need to mention what happened during preparation of the coir, I still find this impossible to fathom:
    I placed around 600 grams (at a guess) into a plastic bowl and then gave it 3 mins on full power. When the bell chimed I removed the bowl and found smoke! A small clump of coir was infact smoldering. I quickly removed it and put it on our metal kitchen counter and saw that it indeed had a core of red embers, had I not noticed it sooner there could have been a very nasty situatiuon on my hands. Can microwaves cause ignition in dry substances?, or perhaps it was something else within the coir that caused this. I have no clue, I have never experienced anything like it before, not even as a child when putting all manner of substances in the microwave to see 'what happens' was considered exciting. (NON METALS Of course.)
    NOTE: Don't ever put raisins in a microwave, they balloon to the size of plums and the smell is one that you will never forget.
    Last edited by Tomas Whitehouse; 12-08-07, 12:55 PM.
    www.tomaswhitehouse.com
    info@tomaswhitehouse.com

Hi Thomas

I have a A.geniculata in my collection and I keep the terrarium totally dry, no misting, only a water dish in the terrarium approx the same size as yours. She spends all her time om the substrate (coconut peat ?) and attacking the tweezers when removing the water bowl is quit a normal formallaty weekly for me aswell. Guards it with her life.

Never had any problems with molting and I feed her twice a week.

Regards
    Jaco
    A.geniculata, B.smithi, B.auratum, B.albopiulosum, B.vagans, B.klaasi, B.emilia, B.boehmei, H.lividum, H.minax, S.calceatum, A.versicolor, C.crawshayi, L.parahybana, A.seemanii, P.striata, P.ornata, P.regalis, P.irminia, P.cambridgei, C.shioedtei, P.murinus, G.aureostratum, Harpactira sp.

Comment

Also, recall that Brazil is a HUGE country (8.4 million square km) and has at least 6 different biomes.

Meaning, Brazil does not always equal wet.

Stan is a strong promoter of using a water dish for humidity. If you see the spider hanging around it a lot, then it's too dry.

With many similar species, I will flood the substrate down the side of the enclosure, the surface stays dry, but the lower levels evaporate and keep the humidity a bit higher.

When one starts out, it's easy to get caught up in the loads of bad information, and to worry a lot. It's fine.

Just watch your spider, talk to fellow keepers, find something that works for you, and don't stress out. This is a hobby and a pet after all!

As for problems, just keep the dead bodies and remains from meals cleaned up and you should have no problems. Once you get more spiders, it might be beneficial to just start raising your own roaches, which solves many problems associated with crickets.

Oh! Keeping off the substrate is something that often passes with time.

Good luck.

Christian
      They've got oour names! It's the pris'n hoose for us!

Comment

Christian

Hi there,

Thank you for your words of advice. My spider has been hanging around the water dish today so I administered a light misting.
        As for prey item remains, she doesnt leave any, not a crumb. The only thing there is to clean up is excrement. Is that something I need to clean up after?

All the best

Tomas

Originally posted by Christian Elowsky View Post
        If you see the spider hanging around it a lot, then it's too dry.

As for problems, just keep the dead bodies and remains from meals cleaned up and you should have no problems.
        www.tomaswhitehouse.com
        info@tomaswhitehouse.com

Comment

You shouldn't really put dry stuff in the microwave Tomas. It's not healthy. Pour a little water in it, and the steam will help sterilise the substrate (and avoid fires)

Personally I don't bother, and apart from the odd mushroom, I've not had a problem.

Probably one of these days you'll find a round ball of prey remains somewhere in the tank. Just remove it and you'll be fine.

I'm of the opinion (and it is just that, an opinion) that published humidity levels are impossible to maintain in captivity. If you have a water bowl, then you should be OK.

My Collection:

Comment

Cheers Phil

Originally posted by Phil Rea View Post
            You shouldn't really put dry stuff in the microwave Tomas. It's not healthy.
            Ha ha, I get the drift mate. I won't be making that boob again. Normally I'm quite the logical kind of chap but sometimes you just have to pass on and share the family brain cell.

Everything seems quite good at the moment, the fly situation is under control and I've misted the tank lightly once as she was hanging around the water dish.

To my amazement I witnessed a very beautiful thing yesterday, she was delicately moving sub from one end of the tank to pad out her retreat. She hasn't done that yet and I was utterly engaged watching her. She seems very happy.

Thanks for the guidance, I seriously appreciate it.

Regards
            Tomas
            www.tomaswhitehouse.com
            info@tomaswhitehouse.com

Comment

Working...
            X