Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An End To The Flies

Hi,

Phew! This is for those who may have experienced/experiencing a fruit fly (or any other kind of little fly) invasion.
    For the past week My girlfriend Tuuli and I have had a very large infestation of small black flies and fruit flies in and around our kitchen sink. When we first noticed them they had already secretly built up numbers going into the hundreds! It's a shame we don't keep any slings yet or we would have had a nice free food supply!
    It's been over a week long task and here's how we got rid of them.

Firstly we executed our mission without the use of any insecticides, repellents, blunderbusses or weapons of mass destruction.

All waste organic matter (veggie peels etc) was immediatley taken outside as well as removing all items of fruit from the apartment. Any rubbish that accumulated whilst preparing meals was also immediatley disposed of outside.
    Soon after this I noticed the flies had taken up residency inside the plastic bags of our bread! Little buggers snook in through teenie tiny holes in the plastic! There was literally around 20 - 30 flies inside just one bag!
    So we started keeping bread in the fridge while we got the invasion under control.

Anything that's food = Hide it, chuck it or refridgerate it!

A few non toxic fly traps were set up near the areas of occupation. These helped only a small amount to be honest but still caught around 40 odd flies in three days.

It has taken a week to eliminate/disperse all of the flies by maintaining this routine. Small numbers have been spotted in various places around the apartment but failed to thrive i.e my fishing waders and the bathroom.
    During this time my tarantula enclosure has been kept on the dry side just incase some invaders were the infamous phorid flies. All is fine and dandy and my spider is happy and fast.
    We have been having very hot and humid weather here in Finland over the past 2 weeks, so very unnaturally hot I've had to turn of my tarantula's heat pad for the first time. This heat has certainly added to the fly problem but now it's all good and dandio. Were quite happy now too!

Lots Of Respect
    Tomas
    www.tomaswhitehouse.com
    info@tomaswhitehouse.com
Working...
X