is there a way to tell if your t is ready to eat after its molt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there a way to tell if your t is ready to eat after its molt

my chile rose is going to do its first molt with me showing all the sines and like the book says its going darker in the right place lol too, but it says feeding can be days or weeks etc later how can you tell it ready thanks im guessing when it behaves like it used to
    thanks

When they first molt the fangs are white and soft. Feeding a T while the fangs are still soft can easily break the fangs. They darken to black as they harden, you need to wait, at least, until they are black and usually a few days after that to be safe. This will occur from a few days to a week. Generally most folks wait a week or two.
    KJ Vezino
    Certified Arachnoholic
    My T Gallery
    Quest for Knowledge: All the T info links you need!
    "Have You Hugged Your Spiders Today?"

KJ’s Collection

Comment

Kevin, is that true for spiderlings as well? i know they take a few hours at least for their exoskeleton to harden, but wasn't aware the fangs could take longer.
      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I usually try feeding my bigger T's around a week after a moult. If they dont eat I remove the cricket and try again in a couple of days.

For slings, I wait 5 days and then try feeding.

Elaine

Give me all your Avics !!!!!

Comment

that would explain their reluctance to eat a day after the moult then...
          thanks, i'll be more careful of that in future.
          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
          -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Spiders are at their most vulnerable during and after a moult so its never a good idea to feed them until they have hardened properly. A cricket can do a T some damage when they are still soft so I always make sure I remove a cricket after only a couple of hours if I know one of my T's is in premoult.

Elaine

Give me all your Avics !!!!!

Comment

I wait 7 full days after each molt and 5 days after each molt for slings.
              I have never had a problem like this. every T is different and all keepers are different sut to be safe wait at leest 5 days ok.
              sonny

Comment

I have been waiting 7-10 days for adults, and 3-5 days for slings never had a problem
                The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

Hi Scott,
                  If you look at your tarantulas fangs a couple of days after moult you will see they have a red sheen to them. When that goes your spider's exoskeleton will be hardened. For slings I leave it 3 days, juves about 4-5 and adults a week. Remember after a moult spiders are very hungry so if they refuse the food their new exoskeletons are not ready and you should remove the food immediately. Brachys can take a while longer, I don't know about Grammastola
                  Last edited by Nicola Dolby; 10-09-07, 04:33 PM.
                  sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Grammostola run about the same really: Adults 5-7 days, S'lings 2-4 days.
                    I usually keep them on the dryer side anyway and this does have a bearing on the hardening process, some of my simple experiments have shown a 50% increase in the time it takes to show willingness to accept food after a moult, the humidity was averaged at 10-15% higher than i usually keep them by spraying lightly twice a week.
                    There are exceptions though, such as an juvenile aureostriata i have that averages around 12 - 14 days before feeding normally
                    All are kept at room temperature with a night time drop.
                    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

my t is defunlty getting darker but its taking weeks for the molt and webbing a small part of the hyed which is hyer than it need but wide enuff so my t can move in there and come out facing the right way could i be rong at my ts not molting

Comment

well G. rosea's are slow growers, so just be patient...he'll shed when it's time!
                        you're not going to believe the colours my G. rosea's are still two of my favourites. such vivid colour!! and so friendly.
                        -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Working...
                        X