New Home, What Are Your Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Home, What Are Your Thoughts?

Hi all, and can I just say what a great site, very useful information!

I am new to the hobby and am awaiting the arrival of three slings to start me off, these being:

Brachypelma boehmi
    Brachypelma smithi
    Brachypelma auratum

I am sure these will be an interesting introduction to the hobby! I have included some photos of what is going to be home to start with, the box is 12cm x 8.5cm, I have used the coconut substrate which is sold in blocks, this is about 2cm at the lowest point rising to 3.5cm at the rear. A film case is sunken into the substrate. Is this going to ok for the new T's?

Appreciate your comments and look forward to chatting with some of you in the future!
    Richard
    Attached Files

I use the larger 4 ltr "really useful boxes" from Woolworths for a lot of my (and my lads) animals snails, cockroaches, fruit beetle larvae etc etc, and have used them for terrestrial spiders too with no problems.
    The only additional thing i did was add ventilation holes around the top (like it seems you have, from your pics)
    They're great....stackable, sturdy, cheapish and secure.
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

I notice you said that you were getting slings, Most people/dealers sell slings when they are around the 1cm size. This size Brachypelma slings will live in the film cannisters for more than a few months.
      I have some Brachy slings that have been in film cannistors for over 3 months and they have maybe grown 1 or 2 mm after being fed twice a week for all of this time. Brachypelmas grow very SSLLOOOWWWWW.
      If you put the slings in a container as large as you have show, they wont be able to find the food and so will not grow and you wont see them either.
      I would suggest that you keep the slings in the cannistors until they are grown on a bit and then get something like a small clear coleslaw tub or similar as a next stage home until they reach a larger size.

Comment

Peter thanks for the info! From what I have read on the site slings will arrive in film cannisters, shall I just put a couple of cm's of the substrate in the bottom of my own cannisters and on arrival simply transfer them over to mine. Then I take it leave them in a temp controlled larger tank that I have?

Cheers
        Rich

Comment

In a word yes

Most people keep their spiders at normal room temperature unless they have a particularly cold room and then they will use heating of varying types. If you are comfortable in shirt sleeves then the spiders will be OK as well.

Heres a few of my slings

Had a triffid growing in one of the slings pots

Last edited by Peter Roach; 09-09-07, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Really Useful boxes live up to their name. They're strong, lockable, stackable, washable, easy to cut and to punch holes in and they also take hot-glue very well. I have several where I have cut out the central panel of the lid and hot-glued mesh in to replace it. Excellent for species that require good ventilation.

Comment

i predict a trip to woolworth's coming on...
              Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
              -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
              My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Working...
              X