Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!

Hi I have just bought two lovely spiders, an approx 2 inch juvenile mexican fireleg and a 1 inch salmon pink. I have put a grasshopper that is slightly smaller than it, in with the salmon pink and she appears scared of it! can the hopper hurt my spider, why is it shying away? Thanks

First, the cricket sounds far too big for the salmon pink. At 1 inch it should only be eating crickets about 1cm. For the Brachypelma, crickets about 2cm will do at a pinch, but again I'd use 1cm. . Secondly if the tarantula doesn't want the 1cm either then it is probably shaken up by the move and could do with a bit of rest and shade to get used to its new home. Give them both water and keep them in a warm, dark cupboard for a day or so to settle. Look in on them now and again obviously to check humidity and water. Of course the salmon pink may be ready to moult but even so the cricket is far too big and will probably frighten the spid!
    sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Thanks I have now removed the grasshopper. B. boehmi I got a couple of days before the other and she ate the grasshoppers fine, has has two already! I just wanted to clarify whether or not a grasshopper was capable of hurting my babies?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Brown View Post
        Thanks I have now removed the grasshopper. B. boehmi I got a couple of days before the other and she ate the grasshoppers fine, has has two already! I just wanted to clarify whether or not a grasshopper was capable of hurting my babies?
        Chris
        Most problems come with live foods when the tarantula is molting, they often take bites out of the spider which then bleeds to death. So all live foods should be removed once the spider enters this pre molt phase.

Large hoppers and locusts have large spines on the the back leg and can use these with great effect. Normally a hungry tarantula is just far to quick and they don't get chance to use this defence.

However if the tarantula is a bit unsettled or not to sure of its meal they can get a bit brave and fight back, and your precious spider gets a kicking so to speak...

Alway use food that can be easliy over powered by your tarantula and all will be fine.

Cheers
        Mark

------------------------------------------------------
        Serious Ink tattoo studio -
        Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Second Mark!

I've seen a 5" P murinus RCF shy away from a 1" cric when it goes into defence mode so I wouldn't worry too much.

Water for T's as small as you are implying simply spray some water onto one of the sides of the enclosure, at this size they can drink if need be from the water droplets that will form as a result of the spraying.

Also check for a dark patch on the opisthosoma (abdomen) which is a sign of an imminent moult, usually characterised by the abdomen being disproportionately larger than usual.

If they are slings try feeding 2-3 crix twice a week, remove any leftovers the day after if uneaten.
          All those legs and not a pair of shoes in sight... Nice tarsus tho...

Comment

Working...
          X