im lost about my chiles rose molt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im lost about my chiles rose molt

my Chile rose started to molt ages ago and 3 weeks later came out, but it not brought out its moult yet. put a small cricket in and it was taken fast and hard, can they eat there on molt ?

Are you sure it has moulted? I've not noticed any of mine eating their shed skins, probably because I retrieve them quite quickly, so they don't get the chance. They sometimes seem very protective of the shed skin, and lounge around ontop of it afterwards. But never seem like they intend on eating it. It's possible that it's hidden at the back of her hide. A few of mine have made life really difficult at times by moulting inside their hide. If she's been messing with it, it could be all squashed up at the back. How big is she?

Comment

I'm sure it has it webbed up its hayed and surrounding area and not came out for weeks and went off food, it was very dirty looking and now look briter and eaten its second cricket in 1 day

Comment

You could always take her out of her enclosure, then you'd be free to investigate without spooking her or you. She's moving about and eating so disturbing her should be ok. You'll likely find it in her hide somewhere. Some of my slings end up moulting down in their burrows. I leave those, as getting at them would mean destroying the burrow they have made. Sometimes they drag them to the surface. When they feel like doing a bit of house keeping They are usually hungry after a moult. So will feed well initially. Sounds like yours is doing fine.

Comment

its hayed is a log i have very slowly moved the tank out there is a lot of webbing in there and its put loads of extra substrate in the at the back you can hardly see any think but a big blob of webbing at the end but its about half way up the Hyde is it OK to lift it out and look when Ive take my Chile out

Comment

i wouldn't worry so much about it...just be calm with the spider when you get it out, and try to minimise the destruction with tweezers or tongs if you can.
            it'll sort out its webbing when it gets around to it.
            i'm sure worse things happen to their burrows in the wild on a regular basis!
            Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
            -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
            My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much, my C shioedti moulted last after transferring it to a larger viv, decided to leave the moult in for a bit to see what would hppen, the T placed the exuvium in the corner after moult then next day took it to the top of a cork bark wall where it remained untill removal.

Some sp like H lividum are known to utilise the shed skin as part of their burrow, ergo reinforcing the walls with their own old exoskeleton, reducing their carbon footprint or what!
              All those legs and not a pair of shoes in sight... Nice tarsus tho...

Comment

Different spiders do different things with shed skins, as Robert has said. I have still yet to see a shed skin from my H. lividium, my Pokies always throw their shed skins out immediately, my Brachys do so when their new exoskeletons have hardened and my H. schmidti has just moulted and made his into part of the furniture! In other words, don't worry, the bigger the spider then the longer things take to sort out after a moult.
                sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Of all my T's, my E murinus is the only one that I have seen chew on the molt until it was gone. I can't say for certain that it ate it but it reduced a nice size molt down to almost nothing.

I watched the whole affair till here was little to see. I'm not sure if it truely ate it, or sucked all the moisture out of it til the cuticle was condensed to a pebble size?!?!

PIG-

Comment

Like the others said, don't worry about it. If it did indeed molt, more than likely the exuvium will be discarded from the burrow eventually, when the tarantula does some "housecleaning".

Comment

Working...
                    X