Tips for Acanthoscurria chacoana needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for Acanthoscurria chacoana needed

Ok so picked up one of these a few days ago and just wondering if anyone can throw some light and infor this way?

I've tried looking about online, and so far all I can get is...

Acanthoscurria chacoana (Bolivian Salmon pink)
    Terrestrial
    Semi defensive
    7"
    Will burrow if given ample substrate.

So whilst that tells me what I need to keep the animal alive, it's still abit sparse. I do know its on the voracious side as it took an adult lobster roach within 2 hours of being house. (total accident that it fell off my hand when being fed to another T and slipped under the encloser lid) Since then it has also happily taked another two roaches. Though for a terrestrial species it acts abit odd. The hunting behaviour seems almost similar to trapdoors, if a roach comes to the hide entrance then out shoots a bolt of dark lightning. But soon as the roach moves away, then back into the burrow heads the spider.

My Collection: - Support CB

Hi Rich,

I have kept mine much the same as a Geniculata. I keep them on deep coco-fiber bedding, the soft ground kind. I typically provide a hide which I dig out a burrow, put the hide over and then cover with substrate...this creates a burrow but also leaves walking space, some plants (optional and mine are silk) and a water dish. I have kept them for years at room temps which for me is high 60's to high 70's. I keep the water dish full at all times but mine have not needed moist substrate unless they were under 2" leg span in which case I did keep the substrate moist.

I feed mine once a week but have to watch their wieght as they tend to eat anything you put in and can quickly get obese. Let us know if there is other info you are looking for! See below a snap shot of a 6" Genic in a 10 gallon tank, this is how I keep em.

[IMG]http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/5617/*****les183ic0.jpg[/IMG]
    Tabbie Norton
    Associate Editor
    American Tarantula Society
    www.atshq.org
    www.hokiepokiesburrow.com

"It's an Itsy Bitsy World"

Comment

Thanks for that info, so far mine has been abit of a pet hole. This has made it imposible to get any good shots.

I see that one you have looks quite chunky, do they tend to have a similar body proportion to L.Parahybanas when adult then?

Comment

Yes the one I had was quite huge when I got her. They are round and full. Stocky if you will when they get bigger.
        Tabbie Norton
        Associate Editor
        www.atshq.org

Comment

Do you have any indication their growth rates, also general habits and temperement from the ones you have?

Comment

Well growth will depend on size, how much you feed them and of course temps they are kept at.

I had a male that from 1/4" - 2" molted every 2 months, at about 70F degrees give or take a few. Then from 2-4" he molted every 3-4 months. Then every 4 months he molted until he came out at ultimate male at 7" (Wish I knew centimeters, I do the dumb American inches )....

As for the females..they have been molting every 3-6 months depending on size. How big is yours? If she is over 4" then probably every 6 months unless you are feeding her a lot or keeping at high temps. I feed mine about every 2-3 weeks either about 3 large crickets or a dubia roach..give or take.

Temperment? They aren't come at me crazy defensive but they do tend to flick hairs and are skittish. I would not recommend holding them. They may bite to defend themselves but mostly are fast runners and major hair kickers. I can however easily move around in the tanks watering and cleaning up and they ignore me. However this will depend on the individual. I have a baby that stuffs her head in the corner and puts her abdomen up at me everytime I do anything. I call her my little ostrich. The others are totally indifferent to me.

As far as habits...I have found that with the set up I showed below they will often hide in the day and come out in the evening. I provide all of them with a hide and they seem to adapt to that rather easily and won't resort to digging. At least the 5 I have had so far. Babies tend to burrow but once they get bigger will adapt easily to the hide provided them. They don't tend for me anyways to move around much. They either stand by the water bowl, or stand at the entrance of the hide and that is about it. They are easily frightened and when disturbed will vanish. They eat EVERYTHING in sight. Even in pre-molt they don't seem to turn down a meal, which is why I like them!
            Tabbie Norton
            Associate Editor
            www.atshq.org

Comment

So far all sounds the same as the one i have, it's only a juv (about 2" tops)

The hair flicking seems to be a favorite past time, to the point where now i only do anything with glasses on. As for the hiding part well yes it sits in the hide all the time when I take a look, v v occasionally I've seen it outside then either my footfall or shadow will send it hiding again.

Comment

Well the good news is, with mine anyways the bigger they got the calmer and more visible. They are super spazmoid juveniles but once mine got to 4+ inches they really started to get calm. I try to just keep them on a bookshelf or something where there isn't too much happening and have found the silk plants then to help too. Maybe the more there is to hide in the more secure they feel? Who knows but enjoy yours!
                Tabbie Norton
                Associate Editor
                www.atshq.org

Comment

Working...
                X