G. rosea mature female?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G. rosea mature female?

I am assuming our G.rosea is mature. She is 6 years old and about 5". She is a sexed female. Can someone show me a picture of thiers as I am wondering if she should be fatter she is not skinny but I thought females were ment to be plumber than she looks. She doesn't eat very often about 1 large black cricket a month or maybe 2. but she is offered one a week.
    here is a pic I just took

cheers

Hi Abi

About the same age and size, this one eats around 6 large black crickets a month and is prone to 2-3 months of fasting now and again

tried to find a shot from the same (ish) angle, this is the closest

Colin
    Last edited by Colin D Wilson; 03-12-07, 11:34 PM.
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

yours looks fatter than mine...Is there anything i can do to encorage her to eat. As I said I know she's not skinny but I'd like her to be a tad fatter.sorry the pic is at a funny angle due to the way she was sitting.

Comment

the only thing you can do is maybe try different food items, more than likely though she'll just do the same thing and ignore it till she's ready to eat.
        Grammies are notorious for being picky and not eating for months on end.
        One thing i've found that occasionally works is when she does eventually take something pop another straight in the tank, some of mine go and take a second (or third) straight way and wander around with them in their mouthparts untill they feel secure, settle down and then eat the lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Abi Skeet View Post
          . As I said I know she's not skinny but I'd like her to be a tad fatter.
          Can i ask why you want her to be fatter ?

She looks fine and healthy to me.

I feed 1 adult black cricket or 1 adult lobster roach to my adults once every week sometimes every 2 weeks, sometime they eat and sometimes they dont and they are fat and healthy.

Adult female Chile RCF

Comment

sorry maybe I should word it differently. If you guys think she's fine I'll try not to worry. I just thought they were supposed to be fatter so I just want her to be happy and healthy
            Thanks

Comment

If health is your main concern then i agree with peter, she looks quite healthy to me too.
              Different spiders of the same species can have slightly differing body proportions, i have a quite a few mature roseas, male and female, and comparing the same sexes, all have different sized abdomens and the leg to body proportions are different.

for instance two mature males one normal colour & one red (or orange) colour form, both the same age within a few weeks and both reared the same way.

yet they are so different, but both are healthy and have mated sucessfully
              Last edited by Colin D Wilson; 03-12-07, 11:34 PM.

Comment

cheers. I think I just worry too much Just want to do the right thing. I would also like to mate from her once she has shed but this would be the first time ever doing this and I would need some helf so any information would be gratefull
                thanks

Comment

I also just read through what I wrote and appologise for the terrible use of English is my previous post. I hope you get the idea of what I am trynig to say lol

Comment

Originally posted by Abi Skeet View Post
                    I also just read through what I wrote and appologise for the terrible use of English is my previous post. I hope you get the idea of what I am trynig to say lol
                    That's because you're a simpleton
                    I'll let you get away with that one, as i'm aware you are related, so it's just friendly banter !! Colin
                    Last edited by Colin D Wilson; 09-01-08, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Looks healthy to me too. I think you may be worrying needlessly

My Collection:

Comment

Abi, i understand why you worried! i thought fatter = healthier for a while, but there was a thread about feeding not long ago, where it emerged that an abdomen shouldn't really exceed 1.5 the size of the carapace as a rough guide...and a bit thinner doesn't always mean bad health. Ray said that at the BTS show, when they judge spiders, abdomens-size is one of the criteria, and too fat is as bad as too thin. in the wild, most spiders aren't over-weight.
                        so i'd say your rosea looks really healthy!
                        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Working...
                        X