in my garden...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in my garden...

I have just come across the biggest spider I've ever seen living wild in the uk - In a crack on the outside of my house!

I'm not talking lanky, this spider has bulk! Massive green fangs, thick legs and a smooth black body that must have been over 20mm - pretty impressive for England.

This must be Segestria florentina - an introduced species that is pretty widespread in Bristol. After tickling the trip wires to her web she came right out, flexing her metallic green fangs, and I'm not usually shocked by English creepy crawlies, but this was enough to terrify my girlfriend - 'oh no!! you're not bringing that inside the house!!!' was her first response. I don't need to disturb the spider though as I'm sure she'll stay put, I might even bring the odd cricket out for her in the cold winter months...

(not my photo)
    See my new blog about Bristol's bug life: Bristol Loves Bugs

wow, that's a beautiful spider!!! those green chelicerae are stunning!
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

If Trev had found it, it wouldn't be 'in my garden' it would quickly have been, 'in a container' and 'in my spider room' lol
      spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

Segestria florentina would be my opinion too....can't be owt else really eh

Good find Mark !!
        Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

All I'm finding all over the place these days is Pholcids. Bah

My Collection:

Comment

Nice to see Wales has been inundated with the same as my house Phil !!

Last edited by Colin D Wilson; 10-02-08, 03:17 PM.

Comment

lovely spider, shame we haven't got some of these up north
              sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Just noticed the eye pattern is similar to the Scytodida genus (spitting spiders) in that the six eyes are arranged in pairs.
                I think a good percentage of the six eyed spiders in the UK have them arranged in a circle (or similar) for example the Dysdera & Harpactea genera

And yes Nicola...it would be nice to have some of these a bit further north.

Comment

son of a.... I WANT IT

Comment

me too!
                    think i'll be rummaging round our back garden for things like this when it warms and dries up a bit!
                    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Working...
                    X