Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bit of an emergency! king baboon sling illness!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bit of an emergency! king baboon sling illness!

help! i have a C. crawshayi sling who i just was going to feed, but found it actively crawling around, however its legs are not able to sustain its weight. they are trying to curl under it as in death. however, it is still alive.
    i have given him a bite to eat (he has a cricket leg in his jaws as i type) and i have wrapped him in wet kitchen roll and placed him on the radiator (with something underneath to protect from direct exposure).
    is there anything else i can do?!!
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

It sounds like you are doing all you can do although I wouldn't keep it in the damp conditions for too long.
    If the spider is feeding, there's a good chance it will be OK.
    Guy...
    www.giantspiders.com

Comment

James...I'll keep my fingers crossed for the little one...but if it's eating that is at least something. Can you see any sign that it may have injured itself...or are there any other symptoms going on?

Good luck, and let us know how your offspring is looking.

Comment

there is something. it looks like there is something stuck to the abdomen, just under the spinnerets. it is light in colour, similar to the book lungs. it looks dry, and i have not been able to remove it. the spider still shows some signs of life despite being curled up.
        also, the cricket leg in its jaws has not been eaten, it is only held in place in the jaws.
        i tried to take a picture, but my camera doesn't have the macro function and thus the image is too blurred to convey the effect.
        the small patch on the underside looks like it could be left over from a moult, but i haven't seen evidence of any moulting.
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

The leftover moult (if thats what it is) shouldnt be a problem as its not near the book lungs.

As guy says.....not too long in damp conditions, what you could do is soak a little clean kitchen roll and place it next to its mouthparts to see if it needs a drink.
          a lot of the slings from shows are a little dehydrated.
          Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

its not really responding much now think it may be too late
            it wasn't one from the show, i had it for a couple months.
            not sure what it is stuck to its bottom, cause it definitely hasn't moulted.
            -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Awww mate...I'm sorry.
              Does it definitely look like a piece of something stuck or is it a patch of greyish discolouration? I just wondered if it might have had something fungal as you haven't seen any sign of a moult.

Deep breath...tomorrow is another day, at least you're trying to do everything possible.

Comment

sorry mate, just presumed it was a show buy.

is the stuck stuff white and powdery, if so it could be faeces clogged up on the hairs
                Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

i don't really think it's fungal...though of course that's possible. it didn't seem powdery, but it seems to have lessened when gently washed with a damp cotton bud...
                  however, there seem to be no real signs of life...i'm leaving him in the heat still, and hoping. but it seems to be over
                  -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

One of those *it wasn't meant to be* moments...*sympathy hugs* but I'll keep my fingers crossed beyond hope that maybe it can sort itself out, however unlikely.
                    Did it colour the tip of the cotton bud when you swabbed it?

Comment

thanks
                      gutted!!! this sling was fine the last time i checked...
                      i got three at once, and one was runty and slow and eventually died...this would be the second most slow-going. the third is still very energetic and strong. i got him out to check if he had a weird white bit under his spinnerets, but of course he was fine.
                      strange that when i first checked this sling today to feed him, he was running as fast as he could to get up the smooth plastic of his film tub (i put it in as a hide, and it was on a slight angle, but not enough to deter a spider!), so i got him out as i noticed he was running funny. since then, he's just declined!
                      think he's snuffed it now, and joined the choir eternal
                      -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

You're welcome, and at least you still have a very strong specimen. Now...from today onwards...you're having no more deaths! Tell your slings that Mistress Yoda commands it!
                        RIP little spidey.

Comment

just wish i knew what was wrong...too much heat, too little heat, too much humidity, too little...
                          such a tightrope walk! only hoping i can learn, but that's hard when i don't know the causes.
                          -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Hmmm...it's not easy to fathom these things out at times, but if you get all your basic care right and research well on their needs, then there is nothing else you could have done. So don't beat yourself up unnecessarily...that's why spideys make so many babies, and it boils down to survival of the fittest.

Comment

true damn evolution
                              thanks everyone for your suggestions!
                              -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X