No announcement yet.

info on Lycosa tarantula, wolf spider?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• info on Lycosa tarantula, wolf spider?

Hi all,

I'm looking for more information about Lycosa tarantula, a species of wolf spider. Anyone have any information? Anything on physiology, behavior, care sheets, whatever, would be great.

Thanks so much,
    Payton
    Payton MacDonald
    composer, percussionist, college professor, tarantula enthusiast

Sorry for dragging this back up, but was kind a hopeing for some of the same info.
    I got one from the Newark sale and was wondering how I 'should' be keeping it?
    Cheers
    BTS Member and proud!!

Comment

Well first of all they should be secure, for two main reasons...1) from keeping Lycosa in the past they can quite relentless in their attempts to find a glitch in the security of the tank and 2) they do have a fairly defensive /aggressive disposition, this combined with their speed and agility make the risk of sustaining a bite when recatching higher.
      for a single adult i have found a tank with a floor area of 12 x 6 inch sufficient (although if more space is available they will make good use of it), two plus inches of substrate (this can be compost, soil, peat, coir..... they're don't seem to be too bothered and are not as "picky" as tarantulas), they'll need a few areas to hide under to prepare to moult / prepare egg sacs etc (flat pieces of bark will be perfect) although they will spend most of the time out in the open actively hunting.
      You can add a small water dish but i soak one end of the enclosure, lettting a few drops of water sit on the bark for them to drink from.
      As L tarantula is a european species temperatures only need to be a few degrees higher than our own climate, the other world wide species seem to thrive at this temp too (about 70-75 with a little night time drop)
      feeding is quite easy regarding food items as they will take a very wide range of food, variation is beneficial. Again, care should be taken when watering /feeding.

*edit*
      to reitterate security measures, i keep mine as below.
      Last edited by Colin D Wilson; 13-06-08, 04:48 PM.
      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Thanks!!
        I did not expect a reply so quickly, so again, thank you. That has helped me out a lot.
        Shame they seam to be flightly little buggers other wise I think I would own more. Their eye set up is amazing! She really is a little beauty!!

My girl is in a clear 11in by 5in tub with tight lid that is then locked in my housing unit, so fairly safe, but asked as I would like to set her some thing up that she will be able to stay in with more room... I know this sounds a silly question, but does she have the abitily to climb smooth services; do they tend to if they can? (I was thinking of giving her some thing a little higher to keep us both out of harms way!)
        Attached Files
        BTS Member and proud!!

Comment

i really must get one

Comment

Originally posted by wesley flower View Post
            i really must get one
            Thats what I thought as soon as I saw them, and then kicked myself as I had not studied tham at all. Don't regret it though, and always willing to learn But my eyes are starting to feel the strain...
            BTS Member and proud!!

Comment

i've not had any problems giving them more room, they just use all you give them to their advantage really.
              As for climbing, well i've seen them climb a little way up a plastic container, although this was finely scratched from being cleaned often so i would imagine they could get "purchase" in the little imperfections
              You could give her some little branches / bark to climb up in a taller enclosure, they're reasonably "sure footed" enough to cope with that.
              Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
                i've not had any problems giving them more room, they just use all you give them to their advantage really.
                As for climbing, well i've seen them climb a little way up a plastic container, although this was finely scratched from being cleaned often so i would imagine they could get "purchase" in the little imperfections
                You could give her some little branches / bark to climb up in a taller enclosure, they're reasonably "sure footed" enough to cope with that.
                Thanks for all the info, I will now take this forward when setting out a new home for her.
                BTS Member and proud!!

Comment

With all the info that you gave me, I moved my Lycosa today. I don't mind telling you that I was a little shaky as I did not know what to expect from her. BUT she was a star. She walked very lady like into her new home steadier than a lot of tarantulas I know!
                  My other half was at the other end of the room (He's the one who keeps the mad Baboons for crying out loud )

Anyway, her new home is now 11inx6inx7in so roomy for her and tall enough to keep her down the bottom!
                  She has a good inch of forest floor which is covering some flat stones, half plant pots and cork giving her more than three places she can dig and make a home for herself with some fake greenery just to make it a little more pleasing to the eye.
                  She has taken a first meal (bluebottle) in there so I think she may well be very happy.
                  Cheers for all the help in making my little Lycosa happier
                  Attached Files
                  BTS Member and proud!!

Comment

She has a very pretty face. (no doubt something only a spider-lover could say, lol)

Comment

Originally posted by Kate Arbon View Post
                      She has a very pretty face. (no doubt something only a spider-lover could say, lol)
                      too true lol
                      My friends think my spiders/t's are horrid and that I'm mad ... They have no idea of what they are missing out on do they?
                      BTS Member and proud!!

Comment

Working...
                      X