fresh moult

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fresh moult

my legless Epicrates cenchria cenchria tarantula just moulted successfullyroughly about 3 feet long now.
    is it normal for a tarantula to be so bendy?

Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

He he he he

Shane had a Python regius and an Eryx colubrinus moult the other day, they were long and bendy too.

Back on topic James, i dont know if you were there when little Shane came back with the monster of all monsters, that long centipeedy thing at Newark, but thats thinking about moulting, Toran gave us the heads up about it when we got to my house, Top Bloke he is!!!.
    It was sold as a blue stripey legged Centipede, Ex Malawi. I've keyed it out to be a Scolopendra morsitans.
    Not too keen on them, although now it's in an escape proof tank i'm coming round to having a look now and again.
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

congratulations to Shane!
      how do you tell when a centi is nearing moult?
      i've only had one, and it was adult...so it passed away too soon. the two i got at the show (apparently Hemiscolopendra chilensis and Scolopendra heros arizonensis) still have growing to do.
      i love em...but they're scary! just now i undid the lid of the jar the H chilensis is in, and it crawled up its bit of branch and i only got the lid back on in time!!!!!!!!!!
      should really get the other into a glass tank as it's still in its plastic tub from the show. very soon in fact!
      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Apparently when the legs start to look short in comparison to the body the centi's coming up for a moult, makes sense really now it's been pointed out to me.
        This one's burrowed itself under 2 inches of sub and seems to be happy as larry.

I looked at some other centi's at the show, but wasn't pursuaded, then i'm standing there talking to Ray and company and along comes shane and says he's asked a bloke to keep one for him till he got the money off me, and the bloke couldn't say NO????? he's off me xmas card list i'll tell ya !!!!

Comment

ah cheers for that info! i'll keep an eye out. will have to do some proper research now i've got two.
          wish the other was still alive! a lovely Kenyan blue (Ethmostigmus trigonopodus) that was more scared of me than i was of it...and it made a very entertaining spectacle of eating a thawn out mouse!
          -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Had to google that one mate, not too up on these centipeeedy things as you know.

Looks a right beasty, there's a couple of pics with one on a guys arm, NO NO NO !!!

Have just done all the research i need for the one we have here, interesting little animals really, quite easy to keep and feed.
            And the larger specimens are really quite impressive for looks and attitude.

Comment

yeh, i wouldn't hold one!!! dangerous. heard tales of nasty reactions to venom.
              i repeatedly have to google mine haha so don't feel bad!

i just discovered two more moults: a P. striata sling, and a P. reduncus sling!
              must say the reduncus is looking nicer and nicer!
              both my B. emilia's have moulted lately as well, and already starting to show their adult colours, even though they're still about an inch.
              -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

well had another moult, but it didn't end so happily.
                it was the smaller of my two Damon variegatus. i found the skin, and was getting excited, but the poor thing was at the bottom of the enclosure, looking half-chewed. i think the other may have had a go while it moulted
                either that or one of the small crickets did...
                i just buried what was left, a pale wreck of a beautiful creature.
                i'll be ordering more, but that's just so sad. considering i didn't see what took place, it could be the moult itself was to blame.
                -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Awwww.... *hugs*
                  James...you got to tell those beasties that they're not allowed to keep doing this to you! My sympathies, as always.

How's all your other little cuties?

Comment

well just lost another giant millipede. but i think it was definitely "it's time to go". they sure are disgusting when they pass on...yuck! had a good life, though.

everyone else is fine. i was just trying to sex my P cavimanus just now, in case i'm "tempted" by another, and wanted the opposite sex, for obvious reasons. after a good long battle, i'm pretty sure mine's a "she", but my goodness she's more argumentative then an imperator! much more stroppy lol!

definitely have a few hungry spiders for today's feeding time as well!
                    -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Pectine differences in Pandinus imperator, cavimanus is fairly similar

Male

Female
                      Last edited by Colin D Wilson; 10-02-08, 03:18 PM.

Comment

thanks Colin, "she's" still quite hard to check...too feisty!
                        still *think* female though.
                        i managed to resist the urge to get another today, though.
                        -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

James, use a pair of tongs to put her in a cricket tub, then put another tub bottom within that, gently press down to brace her and stop her moving around. you can't squash her.... the cricket tubs are too flimsy.
                          just look underneath then, or in fact turn her over for a few seconds to check.

Comment

cheers Colin! i must be a bit slow today
                            -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Don't worry mate i learned the hard way many years ago before it dawned on me.
                              it even works with spiders to an extent, more care needed here though to get the legs in a reasonable position.

Comment

Working...
                              X