Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions wanted on journal article idea.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions wanted on journal article idea.

I am thinking about putting together an article on Tarantula housing solutions as a general theme ranging from film canisters to large elaborate communal set ups. I will also deal with the practicalities of maintaining large collections and effectively heating and housing multiples. I am after two things really,

1People's opinion on whether this would make the sort of article bts members would like to read

and if so,

2 Good quality Pictures of your spider rooms, racking, vivs including space saving solutions, interesting viv-scaping ideas with a little note on how you keep your spids and anything else you think is relevant.

I'd appreciate any feed back. Cheers.
    jimmydale@hotmail.co.uk

I've always been interested/fascinated by spiders and we have a few house spiders within our home that we've allowed permanent residence. However it wasn't until I saw images of well designed enclosures that I considered Ts as good pets. The idea of keeping a T in a film tub or glass box of peat stifles my desire but see a good enclosure and it fills me with imagination.
    Now, I've heard decorated enclosures don't increase the happiness of the T but I'd argue they probably don't decrease it either. So, trying to create a naturalistic enclosure is my aim. I'm not on for a flower pot for a hide because I've never come across a flower pot in the rainforest but when I see a T peering out of the roots of a tree, or webbing in hollowed out cork, I'm watching far more than the inhabitants.
    To this aim I've collected a number of links for great enclosures and how to create them. I can provide them within this thread or send them direct to yourself?
    So, in short, yes I'd love to see that and I bet most people here would like to read your opinions and probably discuss your recommendations.
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Yes i'd be interested to see them Peter, thanks. A guy i know designs enclosures for zoos and i'm always really impressed with how he makes buttress tree roots and green walls. I think it's interesting to see clever solutions to observing more secretive species like cross section burrows and tube webs etc. I'll aim to discuss some of that in the article i hope.

Comment

Jimmy, i'd be VERY interested in reading an article like this! learning how people heat consistently, provide water and security - whether in simple film tubs or elaborate displays, and even mimic the turning of the seasons would be very helpful to me.
        cheers!
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I think that an article that describes how different people keep their spiders would make a good read.

A few pictures of my shelving, this has changed since the pictures were taken as i have moved 30+ slings from film pots to small containers and most of the pokeys are now in cereal containers and added a few more true spiders.

Comment

I must say Peter, your arrangement looks extremely well organised.
            My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
              I must say Peter, your arrangement looks extremely well organised.

Thanks I cant stand untidyness.
              I think I could go into my shed with the lights out and so dark that you couldnt see your own nose and go straight to any spider without any hesitation. I like to be organised

Comment

Here is a pic of my Sericopelma group
                Last edited by Ray Gabriel; 14-05-09, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Thats a nice size viv you have there Ray
                  Although I cant see any water bowl

Comment

i imagine the morning dew takes care of watering!
                    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                    -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

James, well spotted, some more insight to your watering article????

Peter, the water bowl is down the bottom of the gully over a fence and on the left.................the one with the cayman in it LOL.

Ray

Comment

thanks Ray, i'll keep that in mind!

i like your novel approach to housing by not including a lid to the tank. do you have any escapees?
                        -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

I must say Ray, you've landscaped your back garden beautifully....very Costa Rican
                          Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

You're not digging another canal over there are you Ray? Panama canal v1.5

My Collection:

Comment

The bad news guys is that this is destined to be part of the link road which will run past our house, so what to do? the island is about 15 x 9 km so plenty of this species, so do i try to relocate the colony? if so into captivity (get established in the UK as a rescue or something positive involving the BTS), or try to establish them in the back garden? (the cayman ponds are also going to be affected by the road)

So what to do? what to do ?

Ray

Comment

Working...
                              X