Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incubator design

Just an idea to share.

Having looked around and seen other ideas for incubators i have created one, as attached below, for small to medium/large sacs.

tub is a "solid" cricket tub as they're starting to come in recently.
    yellow tub contained wax worms (and is already ideally ventilated top and bottom).

Basically cut hole in top of cricket tub so the yellow tub slides in up to the little ridge and hot glue in place.

humidity could be controlled by placing selotape over some of the top ventilation untill the neccessary obtained (i've not needed to in my tests and have placed a standard reptile humidity meter in the yellow tub to test with good results just by varying the temperature)

Any constructive critisism welcome.
    Last edited by Colin D Wilson; 10-02-08, 03:18 PM.
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

So then the eggsac goes in the yellow tub?

I think its fab Will it make the sac easy to rotate? Fab idea!

Comment

Could be ideal up to N1 Colin. Wouldn't like to open the yellow tub to be confronted by a swarm of mobile N2's though, or am I missing the point?

Would you put water in the base of the cricket tub, soaked vermiculite or something like that?

My Collection:

Comment

Yep Rebecca,
        egg sac in yellow tub. the egg sac will be a manual rotating procedure at a time period you decide.

Phil,
        I use damp kitchen towel in the bottom of the cricket tub, but you've just added an idea with the vermiculite as an optiion (how did i not think of that?)
        i thought originally for up to N1, but my intentions now are to let any sacs i get go to N2 and open the tub in a larger tupperware, then let them all come out at their leisure.
        I'm looking for a clear top that will fit the yellow tub so i can see in, if anyone know of one that will fit PLEASE post !!!

Comment

I like the idea matey other than the paper towel. It is organic and will go moldy stick with vermic works much better. And just a note seperate at N2 to make life easier and so not to be confused N2 to me is the molt after eggs with leggs stage.

cheer
          "The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?"
          Jeremy Bentham

Comment

Could you not just get a small clear pot and drill holes in the top and bottom like the yellow tub and use that rather than trying to find a lid that fits? lol

Comment

Toran,
              Yeah mate i don't know what i was thinking when i put the paper towel in there, i use vermiculite all the time in my tanks as you know, my brains obviousely not switched on today.

Rebecca
              Yes i could (and probably will) now i've seen an improvement on the design with being able to see inside.
              the original idea came to light when i was holding these wax worm pots thinking shall i throw them or what can i make them into. and as they were already ventilated i thought i sussed it by not having to drill holes (which i get bored of doing) alternatively i may just use a hole saw and put a 2 inch hole in the lid and hotglue some aluminium mesh over it.

Comment

I work on a similar theme...but I don't *double box*. I use a noodle pot chopped in half, the top section of this has stocking stretched over it to hold the eggs, (the hammock method) and that goes into a clean fishfood container with a few holes throughout the lid, some moist vermiculite at the bottom, and that's me done. When they get to N2, I split them into smaller groups while I wait for them to moult into spiderlings.

Comment

Nice idea, and a bit simpler than mine ....

Whats all this with you and Noodle pots though..eh Nichols???

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
                    Nice idea, and a bit simpler than mine ....

Whats all this with you and Noodle pots though..eh Nichols???
                    Ahhh, see I'm a creature of simple habits...and I am what I eat...NOODLES!! LOL
                    Kidding aside, I kept asking all of my friends to save them, I found that when I put cork bark and a noodle pot in the same tank, the spids kept going for the noodle pot ...so, I ditched the cork; the noodle pot is easy to keep clean, and seems to keep ahead of any mite problems. So...now I think I'd better go sit in the naughty corner for the artificial habitations I keep creating!! hehehe

And for illustration, here's mine...complete with yet another eggsac! lol

Last edited by Louise~Nichols; 17-12-07, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X