Chilobrachys identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Chris,

We found them in Sri Lanka, one female had spiderlings, and a female produced an eggsac, so we know it is a dwarf sp,

Ray
    Last edited by Ray Gabriel; 14-05-09, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Looks like very long spinnerets on that little fellow

Another interesting LBJ then

My Collection:

Comment

Ah right . Cheers Ray

Comment

Hi Ray,

Originally posted by Ray Gabriel View Post

The type of andersonni looks more like O. auriotibialis,
          just to be sure that I got it right: the type of Chilobrachys andersoni (Pocock, 1895) or the type of Ornithoctonus andersoni Pocock, 1892?

Cheers,
          Martin
          »ARACHNE« – The Journal of the German Arachnology Society

Comment

Well this is interesting. I have had her about a year now. When I got her she was dark chocolate brown. She had the inviable eggsac...well on Friday she moulted. I tried taking a picture of her this morning but she is unbelievably fast and boy is she cranky. I will let her calm down a little then try again especially since I just got a new digital camera that really should take good pics.

Can anyone give me any advice on what areas I should be shooting for ID in this species? Legs, carapace?

Well she is about 6" still and is now jet black..the legs are hairy with brownish setae. Her carapace is a greyish color now. She is WC from Malaysia. I looked at several pics of Coremiocnemis in fact I have one of these at home but she looks nothing like them in leg structure. Oh this is annoying. I will get pics ASAP and get them posted with as much detail as I can just to see what you guys think. I will also try to get detailed pics of the organs inside the cast excuvium. Thanks guys!
            Tabbie Norton
            Associate Editor
            American Tarantula Society
            www.atshq.org
            www.hokiepokiesburrow.com

"It's an Itsy Bitsy World"

Comment

OK after endless research she looks most like (pet trade) Selenocosmia javaensis almost exactly. This pic here could be my girl...they look just alike.

wonderful tarantula (Theraphosidae) images curated by arachnologist Rick C. West. Hundreds of tarantula pictures of well-known and incredibly rare species

I am still not sure, just guessing at the closest match after perusing the world spider catalog...I am having a hard time finding good information on these. Does anyone have a link to papers or specific means to identify them? Thank you all for your help!
              Last edited by Mark Pennell; 27-12-07, 04:56 PM.
              Tabbie Norton
              Associate Editor
              www.atshq.org

Comment

Hey guys,

I think I am two steps away from being able to use my new cam. Let me know if there are any "best" pics I can take, such as legs, carapace that may help. I will do the best I can she is very flightly and defensive still. I know pic id is sketchy at best but I do appreciate all the help your giving me. At least I know due to size she isn't chilobrachys. Thanks again!
                Tabbie Norton
                Associate Editor
                www.atshq.org

Comment

Uh-oh...so I was right with my second guess then?
                  Okay Tabbie...to investigate further, there is one distinct difference between a Selenocosmia and a Chilobrachys. You'll need to closely examine the maxillae. Chilobrachys have very enlarged paddle setae very bulbous looking when magnified, whilst the Selenocosmia have shorter *designer stubble* looking lyra setae that are nowhere near as bulbous at the tips. Hope that helps you further.

Comment

OK So I know these aren’t the best pics. She has been hiding and all crumpled up. I did notice she is about 5-6” in leg span. Also her spinnerets are long and thick. They are almost the same length as her body. Here is the best I can do for now. Louise I wish I could have got pictures of her maxillae etc. I will need a partner for that, or perhaps can take them off the old moult!! I will continue to get shots as she allows and hopefully she will be eating and will give up her moult soon!!

Her old carapace…the only part of her moult that she has given up. This shows the grainy pattern I mentioned.

It is hard to see how long the spinnerets are in the pic. She also has those weird pink “toes” in the back on her feet.

Did I mention her favorite pastime is adding more web to her house?

Tabbie Norton
                    Associate Editor
                    www.atshq.org

Comment

whatever she turns out to be, that's a lovely animal. hope you figure her out so you can breed her!
                      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                      -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thank you James! She is gorgeous. I just wish I could get better pics. I will continue posting, who knows someday we might nail down what she is, I can hopefully locate a male and we will have little baby MuShu Spiders.
                        Tabbie Norton
                        Associate Editor
                        www.atshq.org

Comment

that'd be fantastic! good luck
                          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                          -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by TabbieNorton View Post
                            OK So I know these aren’t the best pics. She has been hiding and all crumpled up. I did notice she is about 5-6” in leg span. Also her spinnerets are long and thick. They are almost the same length as her body. Here is the best I can do for now. Louise I wish I could have got pictures of her maxillae etc. I will need a partner for that, or perhaps can take them off the old moult!! I will continue to get shots as she allows and hopefully she will be eating and will give up her moult...
                            Hi Tabbie,
                            The photos were lovely! She's a gorgeous girl...and with the long spinners and that carapace...I'd still favour Chilobrachys slightly more...although unfortunately they and the Selenocosmia Javanensis are sooooo darn similar it's hard to make anything more than a wild guess without getting up close and seeing her in the flesh! I wish you had been over this side of the *pond* or vice versa...I'd have given you a hand with examining her. Definitely try and harvest the maxillae from the moult, get them magnified and see what you can find. Good luck...and congrats on having such a beauty.

Comment

Working...
                            X