Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intoduction

Hi All
    Just a quick hello as a newbie I have kept lots of eight legged monsters over the years and currently have a Lasiodora parahybana (Salmon Pink) only a baby at the moment at about six inches but she wont sit on the ruler making it hard to get an exact measure
    Does anyone know what the true size they grow to is, some sites say 9/10 inches others say up to 12 inches
    She (i think its a she) eats everything in site for a couple of weeks six to eight crickets at a time every day then stops eating for a couple of weeks is this normal?
    any advice would be great
    Cheers
    Clinton
    Clinton

Maxine 9 - 9.5 inch Lasiodora Parahybana
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Pet charity site http://www.sponsoracat.org.uk/

From what I've read they usually reach sizes of 8-10 inches but they also bulk out making them very large specimens. They notoriously eat as much as you'll provide them and I've read of them eating large amounts in one meal. I've not come accross reports suggesting they refuse food but I guess individuals will have their own characteristics.
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Hey welcome Clinton!
      alas, i'm new to the L parahybana species at present, my two babies being only a couple inches in size.
      however i have heard of this species getting huge and rivalling the other giants! be prepared for a nice huge spider
      not that 6 inches is anything to sneeze at already
      as for eating...well i feed all my T's roughly once a week (slightly more frequently for the spiderlings if i have food available), but even still some go on fasts for weeks. this is usually the case with my Aphonopelma chalcodes and Grammastola roseas. my L parahybana's seem to be happy enough to take food when offered, so far. in any case, they're a little too fat, so i'm going to back off a bit. probably the wax worms i gave them recently not realising how fattening they are!
      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

If you run our of food try the fattest earthworms you can find - my L.Para loves em!
        See my new blog about Bristol's bug life: Bristol Loves Bugs

Comment

Most of the adult specimems i've seen have been in the 8 - 10 inch bracket, but as has been said, they are a fairly thick set tarantula. I've heard of people who say they have a 12 inch plus "monster" but have never seen convincing photographic evidence (i'd like to be proved wrong here by the way so if anyones got a 12 inch specimen sitting on a ruler or covering the bottom of an exo terra please post away)
          As far as eating everything, mine ony refuses food a couple of days before moulting, up untill then if it moves, and it's in the tank....it's food...including the water bowl when filling up.

*edit*
          Sorry Clinton...forgot to say hi and welcome....brains on Xmas crash at the mo!!!
          Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

thanks guys

Thanks for all the comments and warm welcome I will keep on feeding as long as she eats it and take it out if she refuses I think ive just got a fussy one but she isnt going to starve thats for sure its built like a tank

all the best for now

Clinton
            Last edited by Mark Pennell; 22-12-07, 12:58 PM. Reason: broken link in image file
            Clinton

Maxine 9 - 9.5 inch Lasiodora Parahybana
            -------------------------------------------------------
            Pet charity site http://www.sponsoracat.org.uk/

Comment

Working...
            X