No announcement yet.

Wikipedia inaccurate? Never!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes colin I had almost every molt for along time I collected them till I had more molts than scorps. then just began tossing them. sometime's I just left them in the tanks and let them wither.
    As for telling when a scorp is going to molt there are only a few ways to tell and they are more or less guesses.
    1. They stop eating
    2. some of the brown and redish scorp such as (B. jacksoni) get darker
    3. some of the lighter colored scorp such as (A. austrailis, H.arizonensis) you can see the new tergite devoloping under the intersegmental membrane.
    4. they move alot less

these are just some thing to ook out for really none are 100 %

hope this helps

and colin I found crickets love to eat molts so maybe that is were they are going
    "The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?"
    Jeremy Bentham

Comment

Cheers Toran!
      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Cant we have a staement such as " for more accurate information click here" and add a link to the BTS site?

Ray

Comment

Other ways of deciding whether a scorpion is approaching moult is a distinct swelling up of the body in general plus simply making records of when they moult and then comparing times (not easy if you've only one scorp that was obtained at x size i know!)..

I to have never seen any of my scorpions eating their old moults and at the moment i have 22 species...however if it does happen with some tropical black asian/african scorpions then why can't you see pictures and read all about it on other more scorpion dedicated forums.
          Having said that maybe there is an anomaly where some of these type of scorpions eat their moults but i would suspect that it would be either because of incorrect enviromental factors, stress in the form of constant low/high frequency vibrations, periodic stress in the form of periodic low/high frequency vibrations or some other unknown parameter that is incorrect.

I'm sure that if a scorpion has the food it needs plus the enviroment it needs and there are little to no external disturbing factors then they shouldn't eat their moults.
          In Gary Polis's book The Biology Of Scorpions" i've come across no mention of moult eating amongst scorpions..

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Gabriel View Post
            Cant we have a staement such as " for more accurate information click here" and add a link to the BTS site?

Ray
            good idea Ray. i'll see if i can sort that out. also for whatever tarantula article they have, i'll have a read through that too at some point and add a link if the mods don't have any objections.

Cheers Bryan...well i suppose if they don't eat their moults, it means i've still never had a scorp moult in my care lol
            not so bad when all adults, though.
            Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
            -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
            My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan_Dennis View Post
              why can't you see pictures and read all about it on other more scorpion dedicated forums

Pandinus imperator juvenile eating its molt (Togo)

Found here
              Last edited by Colin D Wilson; 10-02-08, 03:18 PM.
              Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Ha ha....i knew the old "definitive approach" would bring something out of the woodwork....
                Why is it that this sort of proof nearly always comes up in response to someone making a definitive statement.......i've done it myself........How we love to gently slap faces....lol

Still, it's still just a one off picture Colin and as in most things there will allways be exceptions....I'm quite sure it's not the norm for them to do it...........(what another definitive, i'm really asking for it tonight, lol)

Have a good un everyone and merry christmas to you's all

Comment

Gotcha Bryan !!!

Yeah, you're right, there's very few piccies out there thats for sure.

Originally i was agreeing with Mary in the fact i've rarely found anything of a moult in all the 20 ish /plus (i don't know) i've kept them, just remnants found really and pressumed that they were consumed (other's i spoke to pressumed the same), although after a bit of a chat with Toran on the phone the other night he did mention about crickets in the tank eating the moult (god knows why that didn't register )
                  I keep a good supply of crickets, mealworms/beetles, woodlice and carpet cleaners/beetles in at all times with most community tanks and i'm just going to have to assume that the majority of exo's are gotten rid of by these little lot.

Have a good 'un yourself Bryan.
                  Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Working...
                  X