No announcement yet.

Yipee! gettin my first T!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys (and Gals), I'd gladly consider it, but I've already got this book writing project with a deadline in April that I'm not going to complete in time if I don't stop spending so much time on these forums. (GuideĀ³ will theoretically by on the market about next Christmas).

Thanks for your support!
    no problem! looking forward to it!
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thankyou for the advice Stan!,you have no idea how gratefull i am that i have had the"savvy!" to find out info on forums such as this!!. I went too see & pay for my T; yesterday - she(?) is Gorgeous!,a sub adult,but i think she is due to molt,as she has the wee baldy spot on her behind? Will all the extra upheaval affect her moult??.
      I would also like to ask if there would be some-one in the UK that would be kind enough to confirm the sex of it once moulted?

Comment

The bald spot on her behind is an indication of kicking hairs (urticating bristles), not moulting. This could be the result of living in the pet shop, subjected to too many intrusions, rather than showing off her temperament.
        When I rehoused my Rosea she kicked hairs when I tried to move her but apart from that I've seen no further instance although I don't attempt handling.
        My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

I'm surprised Stan hasn't linked to his G. rosea care-sheet, should get you off to a flying start:

Comment

Originally posted by kirsty smith View Post
            I would also like to ask if there would be some-one in the UK that would be kind enough to confirm the sex of it once moulted?
            There are any number of people that will do that for you, myself including.

Once you've got an exuvia, post on here, and I'm sure there will be volunteers

My Collection:

Comment

That would be great if i could find out for definite that i have male or female!When i asked at the shop,they reckond female,but couldnt say for definite,& when i asked about the baldy bit,they said she wasnt really a "kicker" that she was maybe due to moult,but they also said that she has been eating really well. They seem really nice people that run the shop,but i was surprised at the massive viv my t was in?,i was also reccomended to put cotton wool in the water bowl?,but im not going to as everything ive read on here says not to as it can cause bacteria?,i was going to put half a plant pot in the tank,but got told it will burrow 1 itself? (Ive got a half 1 anyway). God!,i sound like a tell tale! i dont want to sound like im slagging off the shop - im not,im just wanting re-assure myself that the info ive learned on here has sunk in!

Comment

you're right about pretty much everything!!
                as for cotton, it can be a hotbed for bacteria breeding. lots of people think it's a good way to water their T because it eliminates the possibility of drowning, but that's really not much of a worry. some T's like a bit of a swim on occasion, from what i've seen. spiderlings can drown, but i think for juveniles up, i think it's pretty hard for them to die that way.
                Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

That would be great if i could find out for definite that i have male or female!When i asked at the shop,they reckond female,but couldnt say for definite,& when i asked about the baldy bit,they said she wasnt really a "kicker" that she was maybe due to moult,but they also said that she has been eating really well. They seem really nice people that run the shop,but i was surprised at the massive viv my t was in?,i was also reccomended to put cotton wool in the water bowl?,but im not going to as everything ive read on here says not to as it can cause bacteria?,i was going to put half a plant pot in the tank,but got told it will burrow 1 itself? (Ive got a half 1 anyway). God!,i sound like a tell tale! i dont want to sound like im slagging off the shop - im not,im just wanting re-assure myself that the info ive learned on here has sunk in!
                  No probs

Definitely no cotton wool in the water bowl, you're absolutely right there. An open water bowl will be just fine. Stick some pebbles or pea gravel in it if you're worried about it.

G. rosea are also fine with half plant pot hides too, and don't moisten the substrate too much as they hate it

My Collection:

Comment

Kirsty, you'll find a variety of opinions on the net and naturally some will conflict. It's not always an indication of what's right or wrong, merely people providing their experience within their set-up. I know people who use cotton wool and have no probs but its a natural home for bacteria yet serves little use, same for the T sponge, not needed. If you do go with that route I'd suggest frequent changes. Shops tend to have a general knowledge of animals rather than specific requirements but good shops will have a background and experience of looking after certain species. Trouble is they'll no doubt have 100s or even 1000s of species!

I'm currently following Stan's advice with no heating provided to my 4 instar G. rosea. She's doing just fine equipped with a plastic lid for a water bowl (with pebbles), cork bark for a hide and peat/coco fibre/vermiculite substrate. Everything else just seems surplus. Leaves, twigs, dried grass etc it all gets moved around, buried or webbed over but I still feel it adds to the aesthetic look and its fun watching her moves these around. I provided a starter burrow underneath the cork and she's developed that quite a bit. Personally I think its good to provide all animals a place where they can retreat, out of general view, and I believe this helps to reduce stress.

Having a dry enclosure will reduce the chance of (or problems from) mites and its OK to let the bowl run dry for a day or 2. No need for misting and little need for human intervention. Perhaps a quick clean of the white deposits she may leave, remove dead crickets (and any that remain after a few days), make sure there's ventilation. Its as easy as that.

Never be afraid to ask, the worse that can happen is someone chuckles at a problem they may have experienced years ago.

Comment

... im just wanting re-assure myself that the info ive learned on here has sunk in!
                      THE TARANTULA'S TWO LAWS OF VERACITY

1. The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

2. Stupid questions are always a lot easier to deal with than stupid mistakes.

I never cease to be amazed that something like a tarantula, in its own field, can know so much more than I do!
                      The Tarantula Whisperer!
                      Stan Schultz
                      Co-author, the TARANTULA KEEPER'S GUIDE
                      Private messaging is turned OFF!
                      Please E-mail me directly at schultz@ucalgary.ca

Comment

Congratulations Kirsty I'm sure she wont be your last though lol.

Elaine

Give me all your Avics !!!!!

Comment

Hi Kirsty

Only just picked up you thread, I've been off line for some time (long story!!!!!!!!!!)

Welcome, my first T was a C.rosea and I love her too bits. There is so much help on this forum you really can't go wrong. My C.rosea I believe was wild caught so I'm not sure how old she is, but definitely adult. I have a Mexican Flame leg who is about 10cm now and a real stunner, and finally I have a Greenbottle Blue who I have had since she was about 6mm absolutely tiny but is now about 4cm and I believe about to moult. Hopefully I will be around to see this one, I'm sure they wait till I've gone out.

Anyway enjoy your T, I look forward to hearing all about your next T too he he

Barbara

Comment

Working...
                          X