Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White spot on abdomen

Hi All

I'm new here but would like to ask a question. I have just bought a B.smithi and have noticed it has a white spoton the side of its abdomen. There is nothing on the other side. Its legs look quite transparent. Does anyone know what this could be? It isn't anything stuck on it, it looks like its in its skin or under its skin. Idon't know when it moulted last or anything so don't know when I should give it a feed. Should I leave it a day or two?
    Any replies gratefully received. I'm a bit worried about this white spot.
    Proud owner of 48 Tarantulas and other pets.

Hi Patsy
    welcome to the forum.
    It's hard to give an answer just by a description of an ailment, Is there any chance you could post a picture?
    It could be fungal, or the healed area where the abdomen was punctured or even a parasite attached just below the surface....hopefully it's non of these and it's just a mark of some kind
    also you say the legs look transparent, is it a spiderling by any chance?

Colin
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

White spot

Hi

Yes, it is a spiderling. I'm wondering whether to take it back to the shop and get it changed. It also only has 7 legs which we didn't notice until we got it home. I can't take a photo as when I use the macro mode on my camera it seems to come out all fuzzy but I'll try and get a photo if I can.

Comment

The little legs on spiderlings are very thin so they appear transparent thats nothing to worry about, also the leg thats missing should regenerate in a few moults so thats not really a problem either.
        If you're concerned about the spot and the missing leg then you could take it back and if the shops quite reasonable they may exchange it for you.

If you can get a photo up tonight then your mind may be put at rest.

Comment

White spot

I'm going to see if I can get a photo up tonight if I possibly can. Do you have to use photobucket on this site to get a photo up? I'm just waiting for the spider to get into the right position so I can try and get a photo.

Comment

You can use photobucket (or similar sites) if you wish just insert the url on the page.

or you can upload directly from your pc, when you reply to a post click the "go advanced" tab and scroll down a bit to "manage attachments" click that (or click the paper clip in the tool bar at the top of the window) and follow the instructions. upload one image at a time and make sure they're within the size limitations for the file type. click the paper clip again when your image is uploaded to insert the image where you want on the page.

Comment

There are two white spots

The spider has just climbed up the side of the little canister its in and I can see two white spots now, symmetrical on the underside of its abdomen. Would these be the booklungs? I feel silly now if that is what they are but I've been really worried.

Comment

Yep thats what they are, it did cross my mind whether or not this is what it was but as you first said the spot was only on one side.
                thats that sorted then.
                are you going to keep it now and wait for it to regenerate the leg. it's a facsinating experience to watch it moult and a new (all be it smaller) leg appear, then get progresively bigger untill there's hardly any noticable difference after a few more moults.
                All this show you have the right attitude for keeping spiders and are not afraid to ask questions
                I hope it brings you lots of enjoyment, and i'm sure it won't be the last you'll buy.

Comment

Thank you Colin

Thanks you Colin so much for putting my mind at rest. I feel so much better now. Yes, I am going to keep the spider and watch its leg gradually come back after each moult. I have quite a few animals, birds, fish and dogs as well as the spiders and I always try to do what is best for all of them. I've only had my chili rose since November 9th and I'm totally fascinated with her. Watching her wash was fantastic. Rubbing her legs under he body, really fascinating! I can't thank you enough for your help. You have made me really happy now. Thanks again.

Comment

All part of the service Madam

Comment

Working...
                    X