King baboon sling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King baboon sling

Hi all, I am extremely pleased, my king baboon sling moulted successfully yesterday. He was about 3cm and has nearly doubled in size and his carapace is much larger ! I don't now how he had it under his old skin. I have had him for about 4 ish months and I know they're slow growers but I never thought he would moult. It's a great relief as my last mexican red knee sling got stuck in his skin and died, so it's a great start to the new year !

hi kirk , very nice choice of spider , they are indeed slow growers ive had my spiderling since july and its only moulted once , sorry to hear about your loss , ive had 2 spiderlings and a juvie die in the last 2 weeks

Comment

oh i do love C crawshayi slings. i had 3 back in September but unfortunately 2 died. the last tried to die by dessication, but thankfully this board with its excellent people were here just in time to advise me, and he/she's still running around with loads of life.
      can't wait for mine to moult as we! i think it's about the same size as yours was before it moulted
      sorry for you and Andy's losses, though...i have lost a good few this year myself
      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by James Box View Post
        oh i do love C crawshayi slings. i had 3 back in September but unfortunately 2 died. the last tried to die by dessication, but thankfully this board with its excellent people were here just in time to advise me, and he/she's still running around with loads of life.
        can't wait for mine to moult as we! i think it's about the same size as yours was before it moulted
        sorry for you and Andy's losses, though...i have lost a good few this year myself
        How does something try to die by dessication???

Mine's moulted once since I got him a couple months back as a 1cm sling, looking rather large at the minute tho, could be ready to pop...
        All those legs and not a pair of shoes in sight... Nice tarsus tho...

Comment

i was being facetious. basically, it had plenty to drink, but somehow still managed to dry itself out. i had to water it on a cotton bud to restore it to health!
          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
          -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

i was being facetious. basically, it had plenty to drink, but somehow still managed to dry itself out. i had to water it on a cotton bud to restore it to health!
            Cool cool, funny tho, I let mine dry out every now and again, I don't keep it as wet as some would probably recommend and have had no problems whatsoever.

Even all pokies I;ve cared for in the past have survived fine and dandy, as long as not too dry and a sizeable water container is present they seem to do fine?

Good to hear the sling pulled through tho, I lost a H Liv sling through dessication, and that was prob kept more humid than any other T I've ever owned!

Comment

yeh, it was lucky! a previous one went the same way, and i wrapped it in wet paper towel when i discovered the problem! this one just had greater will to live, perhaps?
              i probably keep them a bit too moist, though the tubs dry pretty quickly in my room.
              anyways, i'm just glad i know what to do in future cases, if they happen again...God forbid!

sorry you lost the H lividum very strange how these things happen, though i guess it's to be expected when we know so little about them!
              -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

yeh, it was lucky! a previous one went the same way, and i wrapped it in wet paper towel when i discovered the problem! this one just had greater will to live, perhaps?
                i probably keep them a bit too moist, though the tubs dry pretty quickly in my room.
                anyways, i'm just glad i know what to do in future cases, if they happen again...God forbid!

sorry you lost the H lividum very strange how these things happen, though i guess it's to be expected when we know so little about them!
                Funny tho, that's the second blue monster I've lost, the first had a troublesome moult, left with 2 palps and 2 legs on the one side.

I hand fed it for a while in the hope that it might just pull through and althogh receptive to the crix offered it sadly didn't.

Would'v been great to have a T knowing how much care went into it's preservation and the bloody thing would still take your head off given the chance!

Comment

ferocious little monsters indeed...
                  sounds like you did all you could for the poor thing... just wasn't meant to be...
                  -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

I have 10 lividums and 5 crawshayi and all have had multiple molts with no problems. I keep hearing the word 'humidity' thrown about as if is the be all and end all of shedding problems.

As I see it, the humidity makes NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER, what is of vital importance is the presence of moisture in the substrate.

All of my burrowers have varying depths of substrate depending on the spiders size but what they all have in common is the top 15 -20% of the substrate is very dry but get progressively damp as the depth increases until the very bottom of the container is almost wet.

Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary

relative humidity noun [C]

The relative humidity of the air is the amount of water that is present in the air compared to the greatest amount it would be possible for the air to hold at that temperature:

humid adjective
                    (of air and weather conditions) containing extremely small drops of water in the air:

Definition:

1. atmospheric moisture: the amount of moisture in the air
                    2. high moisture level: the condition of having a high amount of moisture in the air

As you can see, for a obligate burrowers like lividum and crawshayi the humidity has no importance. As long as the substrate has sufficient moisture they will moult with no problems and therefore will live a long and happy life.

Comment

Working...
                    X