Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moulting

Hi All

I've just got a B.smithi sling and am wondering how often it is likely to moult? Its just a bit smaller than a 5p piece at the moment.
    Proud owner of 48 Tarantulas and other pets.

Hi Patsy,
    The first thing really is that you should be aware the temperature / humidity/ and feeding all play a big part in moulting frequency.
    looking back through my own records for smithis they tend to moult every four to six weeks untill they get about 2 (ish) inches leg span then slow down fairly progressively as they get older. examples of this are 6 months for 3-4 inch LS and yearly (if not over this) for the adults.
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

How old do you think it is?

Hi Colin.
      Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I'm wondering how old my B.smithi sling is. Its just a bit smaller than a 5p piece.

Comment

again, accuracy is swayed by how the spiders been kept before you had it but at this size it's probably a few months old.
        Different spider species grow at different rates, and then males and females can have different growth rates too. smithi in particular are slow growers.
        Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Thanks Colin

Thanks again Colin. Its great to know that there is always expert advise available on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
            Hi Patsy,
            The first thing really is that you should be aware the temperature / humidity/ and feeding all play a big part in moulting frequency.
            looking back through my own records for smithis they tend to moult every four to six weeks untill they get about 2 (ish) inches leg span then slow down fairly progressively as they get older. examples of this are 6 months for 3-4 inch LS and yearly (if not over this) for the adults.
            To touch on what Colin said, my male smithi last molted on 10/24/07. He went from 1.25" to 1.66". He is just now starting to increase in abdominal size, getting a little darker on the legs, and missed a meal a couple weeks ago (though he ate this last round of feeding). The abd isn't really darkening up yet though, so I figure I got a while before anything happens.

My first smithi, was an adult female who molted yearly, without fail.

Comment

Working...
            X