X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glasgow Andrew Has a Question

Hi everybody,
    hope everyone is doin well.
    Ok, first things first: I have been interested in purchasing a Brazilian Salmon Pink.
    Can anyone help me with regards to the Brazilian Salmon Pink and The Goliath Bird-eater with regard to temprement, and which one would be the 'easier' to keep.
    I have been making inquieries and have held off for now, at presant I am going on-line and looking at various suppliers of vivariums and what-not.
    I have been looking at a vivarium 60x45x45, I am aware that this is quite large, but I am looking into halfing in in two till my T grows.
    Alos i have been looking into 'Triple 8 Reptiles' which is a supplies, the prices are very competitive, has anyone had any experience with them, and if so was it positive.
    I have also been looking at the 'tarantula-shop' as I am aware that people on BTS have had positive experiences with them.
    At present I am really pleased to be in the hobby, I had not seen my Mex Red Knee for ages, but earlier tonight i saw him, just at the enterence of his burrow, it was really amazing to see, just sitting there, the colours look great and in time I am hoping for another successful molt. My Chile Rose has been up to some extreme landscaping and has altered his entire set-up, he now has a burrow under some cork bark, it was facinating to watch him as he toiled away. Anyways I look forward to reading your replies, thanks.

Originally posted by Andrew Murdoch View Post
    Hi everybody,
    hope everyone is doin well.
    Ok, first things first: I have been interested in purchasing a Brazilian Salmon Pink.
    Can anyone help me with regards to the Brazilian Salmon Pink and The Goliath Bird-eater with regard to temprement, and which one would be the 'easier' to keep.
    I have been making inquieries and have held off for now, at presant I am going on-line and looking at various suppliers of vivariums and what-not.
    I have been looking at a vivarium 60x45x45, I am aware that this is quite large, but I am looking into halfing in in two till my T grows.
    Alos i have been looking into 'Triple 8 Reptiles' which is a supplies, the prices are very competitive, has anyone had any experience with them, and if so was it positive.
    I have also been looking at the 'tarantula-shop' as I am aware that people on BTS have had positive experiences with them.
    At present I am really pleased to be in the hobby, I had not seen my Mex Red Knee for ages, but earlier tonight i saw him, just at the enterence of his burrow, it was really amazing to see, just sitting there, the colours look great and in time I am hoping for another successful molt. My Chile Rose has been up to some extreme landscaping and has altered his entire set-up, he now has a burrow under some cork bark, it was facinating to watch him as he toiled away. Anyways I look forward to reading your replies, thanks.
    hiya andrew

first off i'd have to say that the salmon pink and the goliath bird eater are both beautiful spiders, i have one of each and i couldn't choose between them
    so i say get both.!!!
    secondly i would recommend that you start using the scientific names for spiders,
    even thought salmon pink (lasiodora parahybana) and goliath bird eater (Theraphosa blondi)
    are commonly known as these spiders, once you start talking about less well know
    tarantulas the 'common name' con really confuse things
    There are so many spiders with the same common name but only one scientific name
    it really does help in the long run.
    and you dont need to write them out fully... e.g. lasiodora parahybana ( L. para )

havent had dealing with the shops you mention but i'm pretty sure others will agree the
    www.thespidershopco.uk is the best around. check it out.

happy shopping.
    'A Woman's Prayer:
    Dear Lord, I pray for: Wisdom, To understand a man , to Love and to forgive him , and for patience, For his moods. Because Lord, if I pray for Strength I'll just beat him to death'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning thats as good as their going to feel all day.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Murdoch View Post
      My Chile Rose has been up to some extreme landscaping and has altered his entire set-up, he now has a burrow under some cork bark, it was facinating to watch him as he toiled away. Anyways I look forward to reading your replies, thanks.

i've spend hours fixing up tanks to look nice and pretty only to come down in the
      morning and find it totally upside-down....
      but its the tarantulas home and they'll do wotever makes them happy
      little buggers, lol
      'A Woman's Prayer:
      Dear Lord, I pray for: Wisdom, To understand a man , to Love and to forgive him , and for patience, For his moods. Because Lord, if I pray for Strength I'll just beat him to death'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning thats as good as their going to feel all day.

Comment

IMO L.Para is a 'hardier' spider then the T.Blondi.
        T.Blondi relies much more on the correct humidy/temp. I could be wrong, but this is my opinion, hope it helps lol
        Oli

Comment

Hi Andrew...
          Like all the various spids out there, the temperaments do vary from spider to spider, and from moult to moult...so, we could say that ours are great...but then you could end up with a real gremlin! lol
          I have Lasiodora Parahybana...(Salmon Pink)...I have two very steady ones, they just sit out and chill...and then there are my *lunatics* who persistently chase and bite the forceps whenever I clean out or feed them, and they really can shift when they want to!

If you just fancy a large specimen that won't give you any hassle, try looking at Grammostola Aureostriata (Chaco Golden Knee), or Grammostola Pulchra (Brazilian Black)...both of these get to a very respectable size. I have 4 Pulchra (hopefully soon to be a lot more)and 9 Aureostriata, and none of these have ever had a *shifty moment*!!

Have fun choosing your next one.

Comment

Hey Andrew,

Salmon Pink (L parahybana) as mentioned is probably the safer option regarding upkeep, and imo are a nicer looking specimen.

Mine's full of character and always up to something strange, plus the growth rate is phenomenal.

On top of that you can get slings for 1.75, whereas for T blondi you'll be looking at a lot more than that!
            All those legs and not a pair of shoes in sight... Nice tarsus tho...

Comment

Hi Andrew, I've kept L. para for a number of years now and they are def one of my favourites. As everyone says, they are very hardy and grow at an amazing rate, depending of course, on the feeding! One thing to maybe bear in mind, which I have found, is their urticating hairs can be very irritating to some people (especially me!) I only have to open my female's tank sometimes, to get a reaction, especially on my neck, like big nettle stings!!. Drives me mad but over the years I've got used to it and they tend to go after about 4 hours. Maybe I've developed some sort of partial immunity!! I don't seem to be affected by my other T's, but then again, I very rarely handle them (only if need be) and try not to put my hand in their tanks. And of course, their colour is pretty impressive too, especially when freshly moulted!

Comment

Working...
              X