X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 0.1.0 B vagans Tapping...

Hi everyone,

Strange one for you...

My SA B vagans (I'm pretty damn sure is female, even if not is no way mature) is perched on the side of the viv nearest the heat mat sporadically tapping away with leg I, sometimes a single tap, others a double, like someone knocking on the door, which is audible accross the room.

She's been heavily webbing as of late (even up the sides of the viv) and is looking rather fat (eating voraciously) so I took this as a sign of upcoming moult, but as of yet is still more than happy to take a mouthful of crix, 4 at a time easy.

Any ideas of this tapping? It's not drumming with the palps, I've been privvy to many sleepless nights with that escapade in the past, but have never witnessed this behaviour before.

And there is not a chance in hell the T in question is a mature male either, so anyone with any similar experiences?

Strange wee beasties...
    All those legs and not a pair of shoes in sight... Nice tarsus tho...

Yes mate, mature female G formosa, hangs off the side of the tank and "taps" with her palps and leg I.
    put her in a seperate room away from all the other Grammostola males to see if that make a difference and she still did it

I've no idea either, and as you, am open to suggestions.
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Could be the first step in coherent Theraphosid-Homosapien communication?

Sounds daft but I tried tapping back, yet ellicited no response...

The only MM I have in my collection ATM is G pulchra, so can't be that like you said!

Morse code mayhaps? "GET ME OUTTA HERE"

Comment

they're calling the mothership!

it's not daft, i would've tapped back, too
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Oh so im not alone with this one either!?
          Hehe, my female rosea has started tapping with legs I and II since her last moult also!
          I watched 'Signs' on TV last night and this has me thinking... Maybe they are all preparing for worldwide domination?
          Oli

PS- My 100th post, im a senior member, WOOHOOOOOOOO, spiderlings all round!

Comment

Maybe I can help. When my female H. lividium becomes irritated she drums her front legs to scare away the pest concerned. she's done it at crickets who bother her when she's not hungry, and at me when I turn the light on!
            sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

I was reading about this as I travelled into work this morning. If you have a copy take a read on p90 of Schultz's The Tarantula Keeper's Guide.
              Its quite likely replying to a similar sound or trying to attract a similar sound. Schultz noted a reply came after he tapped an egg box carton onto their aquarium.

I'll try to come back with a better reply later, rushing off for my train, soz.
              My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
                I was reading about this as I travelled into work this morning. If you have a copy take a read on p90 of Schultz's The Tarantula Keeper's Guide.
                Its quite likely replying to a similar sound or trying to attract a similar sound. Schultz noted a reply came after he tapped an egg box carton onto their aquarium.

I'll try to come back with a better reply later, rushing off for my train, soz.
                I've got the book so ill check. Global coordinated Arachnida? Now that would b something!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who'd have tapped back LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Farmer View Post
                  I've got the book so ill check. Global coordinated Arachnida? Now that would b something!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who'd have tapped back LOL
                  You're definitely not the only one...I have regular *drumming sessions* with mine, they usually respond even if I instigate it. My B.Vagans do it too, as do a few of my others!!

Comment

Mr S. Schultz refers to this as "sexual stridulation" and suggests its T's trying to communicate with each other, perhaps alerting potential partners. He's observed it in both male and females of various species.
                    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Working...
                    X