Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Successful G pulchra Mating!

Hi all,

Thanks to a Ms Sylvi Rigden (managed to nick her MM) I've just had the pleasure of watching two rather vigorous specimens of G pulchra getting their "thang" on.

I'm going to keep it all written up and figured this may be a good spot to journal it if I may, as I'm aware there isn't all that much info on t'internet regarding the breeding of this species.

Hope you like the pics and any positive feedback/criticism is of course welcomed!

I've had the female cooling now for some 3 months, feeding more than usual and had given her a larger viv to get used to.

Over the last week I've increased the temp (25-28C) and kept feeding as per usual.

16/01/08 15:00

Prior to introduction I used a chopstick and transferred scent between the pair by rubbing their palps from one to the other, as they hadn't been showing any interest over the last week, no drumming etc. (Tip stole from Schultz)

Male introduced to female viv:

There was little interaction here again, as I considered seperating them the male duly walked over to the female and rested his palps and legs on her carapace, which resulted in a heated entanglement:

Here's a shot from each of the partner's perspective:

Male's (scary)

Female's (cautious)

After a 3-4 min struggle what looks like a viable insertion occurred:

Once the insertion had taken place the male lowered the female slightly, and looked as if to try again but by this point she was having none of it and forceably ejected the male from the viv (she pushed him half up the wall and the male took the hint bolting over the top of the viv and onto my floor, he must've been startled by this as he promptly took this opportunity to defecate on my carpet, cheers Haggle), fangs everywhere.

Once the T's were again individually housed the male resigned himself to sitting cleaning his palps whereas the female looked rather non-plused regarding the whole affair.

It was so exciting seeing these two animals toiling away with one another, and my heart was in my mouth every time I seen the females' huge fangs waving around.

At least an insertion was witnessed, and the two specimens are safe and sound.

I'm thinking of waiting to see if the male creates another spem web before pairing them again, would anyone recommend or advise against this course of action?

Sorry regarding the quality of the pics, but my iPhone only has a 2meg camera (they reduced the ability to make room for the onboard toaster I presume).

Generally the female is on the left, in case anyone is wondering.

As mentioned, any tips or advice are welcomed regarding if and when to pair again, or if anyone has any info on gestation times for this spp that would be appreciated.

Thanks all, wish me luck, I'll keep you posted!

And special thanks to Sylvi and her amorous T Haggle, whom without their contribution would have made this thread not possible
    All those legs and not a pair of shoes in sight... Nice tarsus tho...

well done mate! fingers crossed for a viable eggsack!
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Awww...isn't Haggle a gorgeous lad!! My chap, Macros is a leggy scruffball...but still cute and effective!

Anyways...well done for the 1st attempt at Pulchra mating, I tried to put Macros back in with Miranda 12 days after the first mating...she refused his attentions the second time round, just kinda swiped him across his carapace with her legs, lol...so he wandered off.

Differences with our experiences so far...1) Macros made several alternating insertions with Miranda, she just let him hoist her upwards. 2) Miranda has been kept cool throughout, even during laying...she's currently being left alone in darkness, and there have been some odd goings on (I'll elaborate on this as soon as I feel safe to invade her privacy for photos), but she seems to be a good mum so far. 3) As an experiment, my second female was kept just at room temp, and will be moved to a cooler room when she's approximately 6 to 8 weeks gravid to see if the cooling is what triggers laying, but not necessarily beforehand...one way or another we'll find out what gets them making babies!!!
      Gestation period...in my case, when I put Miranda into darkness it seemed to provoke her to web up (roughly 8 weeks from the mating), then she was cocooned for about a week, during which time eggs were produced, and she finally reappeared dragging her new baggage.

Keep us posted, Robert, I'll have my fingers crossed that you are blessed with a huge eggsac...and maybe we'll get to generate some *mating recipe* that works everytime...particularly as another mate of mine just had his female moult out, so his mating effort has gone down the drain despite cooling....darn frustrating.

Comment

Well done Louise applaud clap etc smilies

You probably have a UK first there, keep data and write up for the journal please

Ray

Comment

Ray...my hero...*huge hugs*
          I couldn't have done it without you...so this is a shared success.

Comment

Well done Haggle !!! Fingers crossed Robert that you will have an egg sac. I am going to have to clean Hag's tank out, I haven't done it yet, sounds like he will be home soon
            Last edited by SylviRigden; 17-01-08, 08:23 PM.

Comment

congratulations on your succesfull pulchra mating robert, hope you get a nice fat healthy egg sac

Comment

What happen did you get young?

Comment

It has been may years, has anyone managed to successfully breed these ?

Comment

I have heard of a few matings and subsequent egg sacs but none were successfully hatched ie. Mouldy or black eggs when the sac was pulled

Comment

We will see if this will end with slings, I did have a bash last year but she moulted out.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X