Are prawns Ok as a food source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Claudia Baines View Post
    Wow, I am learning loads. I didn't realise you could try and feed stuff to tarantulas unless it was live, I thought they went for the movement of live prey. I have a feeling if I stuck a bit of steak or something in with either of my Ts they wouldn't even realise it was there. I will give it a try sometime and see if I can vary their diet a bit more, crickets all the time must get a bit dull!

Hi Claudia
    Your tarantula may not leap on a chunk of steak straight away but they will normally find it overnight and go for it. I thought the same at first that a "T" would only go for live food but obviously not the case mine loves organic aberdeen angus steak but will make do with stewing steak.
    I find this adds a bit of variety to the diet instead of just crickets etc
    piccy attached L Para tucking into steak

Clint

Click image for larger version

Name:	l para 023h.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	93447
    Clinton

Maxine 9 - 9.5 inch Lasiodora Parahybana
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Pet charity site http://www.sponsoracat.org.uk/

Comment

just a thought

Just a thought
      when feeding your "T" fresh steak etc the process can get a bit messy with all that external digestive juice so not for the squemish

and you need to keep an eye on the tank and clean up well, if stuff drips into your substrata it could encourage mould in more humid settings

Clint
      Clinton

Comment

Originally posted by Clinton Hogben View Post
        ... the process can get a bit messy ... if stuff drips into your substrata it could encourage mould in more humid settings
        That's exactly where my worries lie, its not what it decides to eat its what gets left behind. The invisibles, the fats and oils. And if we think insect remains encourage mites then what could we expect from prawns and steak! I guess the same might apply to providing dead rodents for our Ts but at least they're within their skin.

Does anyone have times when their substrate becomes rancid?
        My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Thank you for the advice, I may give it a try sometime for curiosity. I just wish I hadn't logged on whilst eating my lunch!! Great picture btw.

Comment

Hi Claudia
            Not one of Maxines better photos (she wasn't smiling & closed her eyes)
            but you know what "T"s are like as soon as you move the lid on the viv they tend to move into an impossible position for you to get your hand in and photograph them
            I'm sure they know it annoys us
            but we luv em anyway

Clint
            Clinton

Comment

Just out of interest, all this talk of steak, its not "T bone" is it?
              sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Originally posted by nicoladolby View Post
                Just out of interest, all this talk of steak, its not "T bone" is it?
                Hi Nicola
                Definately T bone mine also likes a glass of ice "T" with hers to wash it down

te he

Clint
                Clinton

Comment

Groan!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X