Cyclosternum fasciatum - CR Tiger Rump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyclosternum fasciatum - CR Tiger Rump

Over the weekend I went to purchase a Chromatapelma Cyaneopubescens but came back with a Cyclosternum fasciatum. She (we think) is a lovely specimen and was on full display whilst we were in the shop, the drive home and for an hour afterwards. Now she's under the substrate, no where to be seen, not even a hole for a burrow. No probs with that although I'd like to see her at least infrequently.

As per usual I like to hoover as much info as possible and I've therefore found the basic care-sheets. Does anyone have any experience with these? I thought they were reasonably good display specimens although a little "cranky".

She's already been given a name by my daughter, and if you ever see one of these you'll understand why we've settled for Darth Maul
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Lol, I see why you chose the name. Just found out a little bit about it; apparently it's quite a tiny T.?
    Soz I dnt knw much about this - but, interesting what I found out.
    Li'l' Ice Cube the Brachypelma Smithi!!! (As of 13/05/08 !!) But, I'm still gonna refer to it as Ice Cube!
    Pyro the Brachypelma Auratum!!!!!!!!!!

Many, many thanks Louise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Tiny? not really tiny but certainly not the size of G. rosea. They are not as hairy as the rosea so they tend to look thin legged but they reach a size of 4.5". I'd love to provide a photo but all you'd see is substrate :/

Comment

mine hid for a moult, but otherwise not too shy. eats pretty easily too!
        humidity is apparently important.
        i got a 2 inch or so specimen and she's a sweetheart
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

thanks James
          I've not been able to raise the substrate around her burrow, which is close to the floor of her tub, elsewhere its higher but I was hoping she'd explore so I could remedy that.
          What humidity are you using, I'm currently set at around 70 with temperature a little under 80.
          Whats the temperament like? does she run at the site of your hand or sit there saying where the hell's my kebab?

Comment

just to describe her home a bit, i got her in a ready made enclosure, relative to her size. a bit like the smaller tubs Lee sells, 10cm by 17cm, with a height of 8cm (just measured).
            she herself is roughly 5 cm.
            about half of that depth is taken up by sustrate, which consists of soil and sphagnum moss. there are even a couple fake plants and a small plantpot hide.
            when she hid, she made a burrow under the moss and sealed it off. now she doesn't care.
            as for humidity, i play it by ear rather than measure. she's had decent condensation in there since i got her, and seems ok, so i'd estimate it's very high humidity, possibly more than she needs. i'll be adding woodlice in to monitor mould and pests, just in case.
            she is very aware that something huge is near her, so she is a bit nervous if i approach. she isn't aggressive, though, and only kicked a couple times. she'd much rather hide, but since she just took a big fly practically from my fingers, she might be thinking "where's my kebab" as you say
            definitely a spider i look forward to getting to know.

PS Darth Maul is a quality name haha!
            Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
            -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
            My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Congrats Peter!! My two are still small slings (5/8" and 1/4"), but they burrow when in pre-molt, and will split their time between the topside and the burrow all other times. Both are great eaters when not pre-molt.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
                Tiny? not really tiny but certainly not the size of G. rosea. They are not as hairy as the rosea so they tend to look thin legged but they reach a size of 4.5". I'd love to provide a photo but all you'd see is substrate :/
                Oh k kl; just that I looked it up on some site and it said less than an inch of legspan, but then I scrolled down the page and realized it wasn't a care sheet, just the the first section of it looked like it was - it was just some guy talking about his own!
                My bad!
                Rich
                Li'l' Ice Cube the Brachypelma Smithi!!! (As of 13/05/08 !!) But, I'm still gonna refer to it as Ice Cube!

Comment

Thanks for replies.

If the crickets haven't been eaten by the time I get home then I'll remove them and go along with the molting game.
                  I thought these were a dry species with less importance on humidity as they got older. However if she's molting then an increase in humidity is no bad thing.
                  I have a bag of sphag-moss at home so I may include some of that too.

Anyone else have experience? dry or moist?

Comment

well done peter there a beautifull species of spider , heres a pic of my spiderling

Comment

Originally posted by andy hood View Post
                      well done peter there a beautifull species of spider , heres a pic of my spiderling
                      It spins that much web????

Comment

tee hee, that's not a mass of web and although they do like to web they're no way as webby as some of the arboreals. Take a look at Chromatapelma cyaneopubescens, although its not quite an arboreal. That's probably going to be my next one, oops no, actually I have a Acanthoscurria geniculata on its way!

Comment

Jump off that horse... Lol Great looking spid though, i want it now
                          Oli
                          Last edited by Oli Dodds; 31-01-08, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Andy, hi!
                            Can You post a close-up of the carapace of Your C. fasciatum?
                            All the best,
                            Mikhail from Russia

Welcome to: http://tarantulas.tropica.ru

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
                              tee hee, that's not a mass of web and although they do like to web they're no way as webby as some of the arboreals. Take a look at Chromatapelma cyaneopubescens, although its not quite an arboreal. That's probably going to be my next one, oops no, actually I have a Acanthoscurria geniculata on its way!
                              The Brazilian Whiteknee Tarantula; that it a nice looking spider; sounds too agressive for me though!
                              About the webbing - I sure hope my T. doesn't web nearly as much as that! lol

Comment

Working...
                              X