No Breeding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Breeding?

Would it be considered wrong never to breed your tarantulas? Would it have an adverse effect on the T,? Ive heard that some species like B.smithi & G.rosea females can live for 20+ years,does being bred/unbred affect the life-span?
    I dont suppose even a T, in the wild would be guaranteed a mate,but in captivity would some people look on a T,s life having been not worthwhile (even if it has been properly cared for) if it doesnt breed???
    just wondering!? Thanks!

that's really up to the keeper!
    personally, i'd love all my T's to have the chance, especially if i have a rare species.
    breeding in captivity has obvious benefits, like increasing the number of available spiderlings of a given species in the hobby, thus perhaps cutting down on the need for wild caught ones.
    also, of course, if a species is endangered, breeding them in captivity ensures the species' survival.
    but really, not everyone can fit the busy schedule of raising and perhaps selling hundreds of slings.
    some dealers will buy surplus slings in cases like that, and you probably could sell independently as well, if you chose, but it's alot of work and stress that not everyone would be able to go through.
    i don't think anyone would look down on someone for not breeding.
    Last edited by James Box; 08-02-08, 11:28 AM.
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

As far as I'm aware Kirsty, breeding or not breeding a female makes no difference to her lifespan. As James points out, it's entirely up to the owner whether they attempt to breed them or not.

My Collection:

Comment

I asked louise this same question a few days ago, she informed me that T's don't suffer from the physical stress the same way mammals do. A T will only breed if it is good and ready, otherwise fertilization will simply not occur. So in short the only dangers involved with breeding would be loss of a male due to the female attacking if she isn't ready.

My Collection: - Support CB

Comment

Hi

There was a nice article that was in the BTS journal a while back relates to this topic:-

Does Breeding Tarantulas Reduce Their Lifespan?
          By Tansley. G & Messenger. P.
          Journal of the British Tarantula Society - ISSN 0962-449X
          February 2005, Vol.20 No.2 (pp54-55)

You could either look this up or click the link below to read it:-

Cheers
          Chris

Comment

Chris, i'd forgotten about that article! scary stuff...i wonder if this is consistent with other breeders of those genera in particular?
            i'd hoped to breed those in particular eventually, but might think twice if it means a short life for a much-loved spider.
            Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
            -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Had no problems with B.Smithi over the course of years, or the Roseas...I still have a *golden oldie* female here, she's a bit cantankerous now...but other than that alive and well.

Still a fascinating article though with regards to the deaths experienced, but I've yet to see a premature death myself amongst my Brachy & Grammy breedings..except for the males anyway!!

Comment

that's good news it doesn't affect Brachy's and Grammastola's at least...i suppose Mary would know about Psalmopoeus and Ray could chip in about Avics and Pokies?
                -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Heads up...G.Pulchra deceased....She had laid me a second proper sac, and seemed fine, then when I looked at her this morning she had death curled and fangs out.
                  I'm nursing the orphan sac in a vain hope that the eggs will make it, her first sac is turning into nymph 2...but there's been a high mortality during the transition...despite keeping a watchful eye, these guys seem determined to go crispy. *sighs*
                  What a morning...I'm off to beat up a walnut whip...

Comment

NO WAY??? she looked healthy as anything last time i saw her.
                    A bit shocked here, thats all i can say...apart from sympathy Louise obviously.

Colin
                    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
                      NO WAY??? she looked healthy as anything last time i saw her.
                      A bit shocked here, thats all i can say...apart from sympathy Louise obviously.

Colin
                      I know Colin...she looked great, didn't she...really beautiful, and that just makes it feel worse! I'm still in shock this many hours later...just feels rotten.
                      Thanks for the sympathy anyways...I just need to stop kicking myself right now.

Comment

Daaaaaaaaaaammmmnnnnnnnnnnn Lou, really sorry to hear that

Comment

Kicking yourself?? what for??
                          Everything was absolutely bang on with the tank, temp, humidity..the lot!! what more could you have done?
                          Unfortunate and unexplained...is the best way of describing this sweetheart.
                          Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Thanks Colin, much appreciated...I guess it's just that no matter how well we do, we're never gonna be a match for mother nature, and there's the: *what if I had moved the water bowl* scenario. A learning curve for me maybe?

Comment

Oh Louise, what a shame :'( , I hope the sac turns out ok. You are going to miss your girl I know.

Comment

Working...
                              X