Change of Species

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richard Shah View Post
    BTW is that guide a good read? I would've thought that the BTS forums is all that is needed!
    I praise all of you here!

Rich
    Someones after Brownie points
    Gloria my little Brachypelma smithi.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Ferguson View Post
      Someones after Brownie points
      Lol... brownie points???
      I have no idea what you are talking about *wink*
      No honestly - I don't!
      Rich
      Li'l' Ice Cube the Brachypelma Smithi!!! (As of 13/05/08 !!) But, I'm still gonna refer to it as Ice Cube!
      Pyro the Brachypelma Auratum!!!!!!!!!!

Many, many thanks Louise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Nice torch Jason It takes me back over 40 years, my Dad always had one like that.

Comment

Richard, that book is a great read and a great resource tool. Have a look at the Books thread
          for suggested reading. That way you'll get good advice rather than peoples opinions. If you can't afford any of those books look at the used books on Amazon or ask your library to get them for you.
          My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

lol yeah the torch is super.

and yes thats measured in inches

and the book is a great read. the first 10... well i dunno how many.. but a few pages are all just about the history of T's, why there feared by many. how they got the name Tarantula, when different species were found etc... reallly interesting stuff. it goes into great detail with everything, and if you can get your hands on it, its well worth the money.. i paid £7 i think...no £9 sorry. but for what it is, thats nothing.

still, for cirtain things, this site is definatley needed. plus its nice to talk to fellow T collectors. makes a change from just reading books about them lol

the book is called "The tarantula keeper's guide" the comapny that prints it... i think... is called BARRON'S

Comment

Originally posted by jason holland View Post
              lol yeah the torch is super.

and yes thats measured in inches

and the book is a great read. the first 10... well i dunno how many.. but a few pages are all just about the history of T's, why there feared by many. how they got the name Tarantula, when different species were found etc... reallly interesting stuff. it goes into great detail with everything, and if you can get your hands on it, its well worth the money.. i paid £7 i think...no £9 sorry. but for what it is, thats nothing.

still, for cirtain things, this site is definatley needed. plus its nice to talk to fellow T collectors. makes a change from just reading books about them lol

the book is called "The tarantula keeper's guide" the comapny that prints it... i think... is called BARRON'S
              Yeah I've seen it widely available, and the information you described, I've pretty much heard on other sites, i.e. the tarantula gets its name from a 'true' spider, called a tarantula, and I think they were getting confused at one point.
              I think I'll head down my library to pick up a few different books!

Cheers,

Rich!

And Peter, if you haven't already seen, I replied to your comment in this thread to your comment in the 'B. Smithi Incoming' thread!
              Li'l' Ice Cube the Brachypelma Smithi!!! (As of 13/05/08 !!) But, I'm still gonna refer to it as Ice Cube!

Comment

Looks like I have less than three weeks wait now! £30 more to save up, shouldn't be too difficult!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Shah View Post
                  Yeah I've seen it widely available, and the information you described, I've pretty much heard on other sites, i.e. the tarantula gets its name from a 'true' spider, called a tarantula
                  This is untrue. The name 'tarantula' comes from a dance known as the 'taruntella' (probably not spelt correct) which was done by tribes in a certain region of the world when someone was bitten by a tarantula. It was a ritualistic way of curing the said person.

Comment

Originally posted by Oli Dodds View Post
                    This is untrue. The name 'tarantula' comes from a dance known as the 'taruntella' (probably not spelt correct) which was done by tribes in a certain region of the world when someone was bitten by a tarantula. It was a ritualistic way of curing the said person.
                    As it says in Stan and Marguerite Shcultz's book on page 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Oli Dodds View Post
                      Originally posted by Andrew Ferguson View Post
                      As it says in Stan and Marguerite Shcultz's book on page 1.
                      Well, that is why I should cross-reference things lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the info Oli, and Andrew too,
                      Rich!

Comment

Well said James whatever you buy you always fall in love withas for Rosea,s Diet i swear to got my Lady will eat anything and if i were small enough to fall in i am sure she would try and eat me lol, she was really aggessive when i brought her from Newark but is settling down well now i think she thought herself a hermit crab at one time she just kept moving her hide around the viv and then just dropping it down and sat there almost looking proud lol I know i know Ts cant look proud but you know what i mean. My Flame knee brought at the same time still seems a bit skittish but she finished her first moult with me 4 days ago maybe now really settled she will not flick hairs as much as she did even for the slightest thing we will just have to wait and see.
                        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

"If it doesnt kill you, it only makes you stronger"

Comment

Lycosa tarantula is a common wolf spider in southern italy (species named after being widespread around the area of the city Taranto)
                          In the early days the bite of a Lycosa tarantula was considered to be fatal (and cause tarantism) and so the bitten victim used to dance the Tarantella to purge the venom from the body by sweating, fever etc.
                          Through the ages the word *Tarantula* has been adopted by many cultures to be the collective description of large spiders, this includes any spider large enough to have a fearsome appearance and, due to folk law, be able to give a fatal bite.
                          In reality it was the bite of the mediteranean black widow that many people died of, and through word of mouth from village to village the size of the spider grew and the time it took for the person to die shortened.
                          Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Wow!!! I just did a Google image search for Lycosa tarantula and its a fearsome looking creature alright.

Here, check this link

The picture of the Redbacked Jumping Spider is just so cute. It looks like a caricature of a spider. And I'm sure that the Lycosa erythrognatha was the basis for the huge spider in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets film. The L. tarantula is the 9th image down. Fantastic looking spider!

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
                              Lycosa tarantula is a common wolf spider in southern italy (species named after being widespread around the area of the city Taranto)
                              In the early days the bite of a Lycosa tarantula was considered to be fatal (and cause tarantism) and so the bitten victim used to dance the Tarantella to purge the venom from the body by sweating, fever etc.
                              Through the ages the word *Tarantula* has been adopted by many cultures to be the collective description of large spiders, this includes any spider large enough to have a fearsome appearance and, due to folk law, be able to give a fatal bite.
                              In reality it was the bite of the mediteranean black widow that many people died of, and through word of mouth from village to village the size of the spider grew and the time it took for the person to die shortened.
                              Why is it Colin, that every time i read a post made by you i feel enlightened and somewhat more intellegent lol
                              Great reply mate, and very helpful/interesting information as always
                              I just hope i can get to the stage where i can enlighten you on spids someday- wont happen though LOL
                              I guess thats why your my spider guru heheheheh

Comment

Colin does have that effect!
                                Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                                -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                                My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Working...
                                X