Pre-Moult?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Moult?

Well, Ruby is still refusing food, allowing herself to be terrorised instead. Last night it was a smallish locust, which I am sure at one point had a sly nibble to see if tarantula leg was good eating (but thankfully got a swift kick in the head for his troubles!). He was easier to evacuate than the crickets last week though, minimal mess .

I am guessing that Ruby might be gearing herself up for a moult. She is very 'sleepy' at the moment, spending much of her time hanging out on her favourite spot on the side of the tank. She hasn't done any 'housework' for ages where as when she was first settled she would often survey her viv laying down webbing in her 'safe' spots and generally keeping things tidy. Also at the moment when I take the lid off the viv rather than scuttling to the ground in front of her retreat to have a 'feel' of what is going on (and hoping it might be food!) she now heads up onto the top of her retreat and burries her head in the corner! Legs up over her carapace and everything!

If she is pre-moult how long can I expect this to go on for before she up legs and gets on with it?!

If i remember correctly "Ruby" is G rosea?

As i've posted before (somewhere?) i've had anywhere from a "few days" to "9 months" from refusing food to actually moulting.

This is a wait and see scenario i'm afraid Tracy.
    She certainly seems to be showing some signs of moulting though.
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Well at least I am reading her right. I shall just be patient then, do I still continue to offer food at intervals or as she seems so disturbed by prey items, should I not bother? and yes, you are correct, Colin, she is a G rosea.

Comment

You could try offering a food item, once a week, overnight and remove it if uneaten.
        I would personally use locust as there would be virtually no chance of it nibbling on the spider if it goes into moult

Comment

Or an earthworm..I read somewhere that earthworms are like tarantula superfoods. There was even a breakdown of all the minerals and nutrients contained. And earthworms definitely cant nibble your rosea. Start digging...

Comment

We've discussed this on this forum.
            Earthworms can harbour pesticides which can be harmful to your spider. even if your garden is pesticide free earthworms travel through the night and can come from a heavily pesticided garden doors away.

read the thread here

Comment

My G. rosea has finally finished the molting process:
              Last time she ate food was before Christmas. Just didn't seem interested in it although I tried various sizes which I subsequently had to remove. She has a little burrow under the cork and spent most of the time there until I overwatered the substrate followed by her sitting in the corner for days. I finally decided to remove her from all interaction where she wouldn't be disturbed, no bumps to the table or food items. That was 3 weeks ago and within a week things were obviously developing well. 2 weeks ago to the day I found her on her back - don't panic I told myself, just like I tell everyone else. Within just over 24hrs she was back on her feet, I could see her through the burrowing window, a very light body stretching her legs in various directions but hardly moving. On Friday night she finally looked as if she was going to come out. Sunday she was seen webbing her enclosure again looking bright and shiny new coat. Last night I fed her and within minutes dinner was served. This morning she was sitting comfortably out in the open.
              Perhaps giving her complete rest without disturbance was the key. We just have to be patient and recognise its an extremely stressful time for a T so they don't need us to make it worse.
              My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Thanks for that guys -

I am unlikely to start 'digging' for earth worms (lol) especially given my landlady's tendancy to 'tend' the back garden even though I can cope very well thank you very much. Thankfully it was locusts that I purchased last so I will try every now and then - the left over ones get fed to my carnivorous plants anyhow .

Perhaps giving her complete rest without disturbance was the key. We just have to be patient and recognise its an extremely stressful time for a T so they don't need us to make it worse - Peter Lacey
                Interesting thought, Ruby is currently housed in our bedroom on a 'busy' chest of drawers, perhaps re-location to the spare room (her, not us, lol) would encourage her to settle and do what comes naturally?

Comment

Working...
                X