Is my B.Smithi going to moult?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my B.Smithi going to moult?

My tiny Mexican Red Knee El Guapo hasn't moulted for 10 weeks! He is about 1cm. He hadn't been eating for about 3 weeks, so I'd only been trying him on pinheads once a week. I think he has possibly eaten on Wednesday, as I can't find the cricket in there anywhere! I think his abdomen looks quite big. I know each spid varies but I thought he would've moulted again by now, at such a small size. Do you think he might moult?

El Guapo

Peters correct about the policy........and Pams correct about "stress" in handling when moulting...Colin
    Moderators note: The BTS has a non-handling policy and does not encourage the handling of tarantulas, for the safety of the tarantula and the owner. We also understand that people have different opinions on this subject and from time to time handling may be necessary and /or accidental.
    These images show the handling of a small spiderling and danger of invenomation is virtually impossible, the spider is technically safe so the images will remain due to the nature of the thread
    Last edited by Colin D Wilson; 18-02-08, 09:26 PM.
    Proud owner of 100+ Beautiful T's and other pets

I think one things for sure, you'll see a reminder of the BTS guidelines on handling, oooops!

The abdomen looks as if it has black spots which may indicate an oncoming molt. If that's so its another good reason not to handle as it may delay the molt. As the abdomen looks big its probably safe to say its been eating so no need to worry about food too much. Try to avoid disturbing tarantula when you think there's an oncoming molt, its a stressful time for them. Make sure there's water available or moist substrate and periodically check. Thats my limited knowledge, hopefully someone else with more experience will provide info.
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

What ive noticed with many species of slings is that the black 'spot' on the abdomen will gradually get larger and larger. When the black spot covers most of the abdomen it will moult within the week
      Oli

Comment

The darker black area is actually the urticating patch, and will still be there after a molt in these little ones. That being said, the rest of the abdomen does look to be darkening in color, and the carapace/legs are dull in appearance as well.

You could still be looking at a week or two until the actual molt, since brachy's are notorious for being slow (along with roseas). If this was a different species, I'd be inclined to guess a shorter time.

Best thing you can do for your kiddo is to keep things quiet (no handling), and make sure there is a water supply. This could be either a (very) small dish, or just making sure the strate is moist, (not drenched). Slings this size will still get their moisture directly from the strate.

Not eating for weeks on end in pre-molt is normal, even for the small ones. After the molt, give him/her about a week before trying to resume feeding. The fangs need time to harden.

Let us know how things go.

Comment

Thanks guys

I'm sure his black spot has been shrinking? but I can't be 100%. They are so minute to see, lol. He moulted in his hide last time so do a check a couple of times a day, but he seems to be spending alot of time in there. Usually he's is out and about. Could that be another sign? I will just keep trying him once a week on crickets, I don't want to stress him out anymore.

This is the first time El Guapo has ever been handled, and it was really only for photographic purposes.

I will keep you posted.
          Proud owner of 100+ Beautiful T's and other pets

Comment

Lethargy/laziness/seclusion can all be signs of pre-molt as well. Based on experience, I wouldn't even bother with feeding him/her right now. Wasted effort on your part, and frustrating when they won't eat. Ts can do quite well with long stretches between feedings, especially species like brachys and roseas. Their metabolism is incredibly slow. At the moment, hydration is the more important factor.

GL.

Comment

Definitely in premoult.

Mark

Comment

Working...
              X