Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap and easy way of misting your setup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap and easy way of misting your setup.

I thought my substrate was looking especially dry around the edges so a little light misting was called for. But, I didn't have a spray bottle. But I had an old toothbrush! Dipped it in some clean water, shook off the excess water and gently flicked the bristles around the edge of the setup and avoiding Smiffy's burrow. Now I have a slightly moist, but not soaking substrate.

So when you have finished with your toothbrush, re-use, reduce (waste) and recycle And yes, that is a Bob The Builder reference!
    Gloria my little Brachypelma smithi.

The fluoride content would alarm me, its potentially lethal to humans even in small doses!
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

cheaper and easier way, is just fill a cup with and pour some on to the substrate. that way no need for a tooth brush which I am told not many english own any. LOL LOL LOL
      "The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?"
      Jeremy Bentham

Comment

Originally posted by Toran Tanner View Post
        cheaper and easier way, is just fill a cup with and pour some on to the substrate. that way no need for a tooth brush which I am told not many english own any. LOL LOL LOL

I agree here - its best just to pour in the water to the substrate, it disturbs the tarantula less.

I use a 2 litre drinking water bottle with a pop up top from the smaller 0.5 lt bottle, this gives great control over the water. Works a treat!

Regards
        Mark
        (A proud owner of several toothbrushes and a good but nearly extinct NHS dentist! )

------------------------------------------------------
        Serious Ink tattoo studio -
        Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

The problem with just pouring water is to reach a certain amount of moisture content in the substrate is hard without either flooding the enclosure or wasting a day adding a little at a time. I prefer to mist (obviously not the tarantula) this can gently soak the substrate without the flooding effect. If you have a very dry enclosure you may have to repeat a few times a week until you're back up to livable levels.

Comment

For African spiderlings, I use a small pipette thingy I bought in Superdrug (originally I think for giving medicine to babies!) and administer the water directly into the substrate. For the bigger ones, I do use a sprayer, but it has a long nozzle on it and again that's put in contact with the substrate and the water is dispensed directly into it. No misting involved!

I do mist some other slings though, although sparingly (and with a little hand held spray bottle).

My Collection:

Comment

If i ever do mist, it's with a proprietory garden "pump action" sprayer set on a medium droplet spray using warm spring water.
              And only then for larger arboreal community tanks for the wet season, the spiders don't get too alarmed as it simulates a light rain shower.
              Any others just get the water bowl overflowed occasionally
              Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
                others just get the water bowl overflowed occasionally
                Same here I just use filtered britta water and overflow the waterbowl this sinks to the lower levels of the substrata leaving the top layer nice and dry for spidy then the heat from the heatmat in the lid of the viv lets the humidity rise upwards
                I do mist sometimes if the substrata seems to dry at the upper levels I just use a small spray bottle from boots to give a quick fine mist

Clint
                Clinton

Maxine 9 - 9.5 inch Lasiodora Parahybana
                -------------------------------------------------------
                Pet charity site http://www.sponsoracat.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Toran Tanner View Post
                  LMFAO toran

Comment

Working...
                  X