well another sleepless night...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well another sleepless night...

my adult C crawshayi is on her back...i've been hoping she'd do this for ages, and now she's obliging at last! can't say i'm not bricking it though lol.
    thankfully i've got Stan's book, so if something goes wrong, maybe i can help...so far, she seems alright though. her abdomen looks like it's free (though i can't see underneath), and it's her legs that are the worry now.
    this will be the third time i've seen an actual moult!
    (sorry, i know it's another moulting post)
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Good luck with the moult, I know what you mean about the tension. My B. smithi is about to moult and my P. rufilatas are at it too, so its all happening here!
    sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

thanks!
      not sure it all went 100% well, though. there was a bit stuck to her abdomen.
      also, the legs seemed crooked. when i left she was a bit straighter though, and didn't look like she'd ruptured that i could see. still reason for worry, but nothing i can do for now, as i'm at work!
      she seems smaller than the old skin as well, but i'm guessing she just hasn't stretched it out fully yet. she was about 13 centimetres based on the exuvium. i also think i saw the spermathecae, which is a first for me.
      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

well, she's still alive! that's something. doesn't seem 100%, but maybe in a week or so when i can start feeding her again she'll be ok.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

I hope everything works out ok James.
          Proud owner of 48 Tarantulas and other pets.

Comment

thanks Patsy
            she's a lovely girl (have to verify that pronoun)!
            -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Good to hear she's(?) back on her feet. Amazing Ts to look at, they always look so big. They have some at Paul's shop but I haven't been tempted to buy.
              I find this molting process so fascinating, a larger new body inside a smaller existing body, pushed out with a stomach muscle which it leaves behind. Of course the giant centipedes take it a step further by eating their old skin!
              My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

do they??? that explains why my centi's look fresh and moulted but no skin to be seen!

yeah, my girl is back on her feet. i take this to mean that with some feeding she'll be back to her usual lazy, grumpy self...rather than weak and grumpy.
                i had my arm twisted to buy her, but didn't regret it for a second. at her best, she's gorgeous, and i'm hoping she'll get BACK to her best soon.
                i blame lack of experience (she's my first adult crawshayi) for her getting into any mess so far, and i'm just grateful she didn't lose anything in the moult and managed to live so far.
                once she's more calm i'll look into improving her surroundings and conditions. this species is a bit pickier than alot of my other ones!
                or perhaps i'm over-analysing. we'll see!
                -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

congratulations on her moult james , hope everything goes well and she gets back to normal

Comment

Out of interest James, how many tarantula do you have and what's your list of other inverts? Have you been keeping them long? Seems to me you really have the bug. Your house must be like a zoo
                    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

thanks Andy...i've left her be for a couple days...she has water, but she needs quiet. will check her maybe tomorrow to see how she's getting on.

Peter...i did a count the other day, off the top of my head. it may be off by a few, but i have roughly 90 creatures. that isn't even a massive list compared to some!
                      i wrote down my list at work...will try to post it if i've a spare moment on Monday.
                      -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

*hugs* I hope the little lady is pulling herself round James.

Hehehe...if we both list our inverts...lol...we'll take up some thread space!!

Comment

i think you'd have alot more to list than me Louise!

i'll post how she is when i have a look. might not be able to sneak a peek tonight...hopefully she'll be hardening and i can feed her up soon.
                          thanks Lou *hugs back*

EDIT: i've just had a look...she does seem better. i can tell the cuticle is starting to harden...it's a bit less pale now. she has some energy as well, though her instant response to me is to dive into her water dish! that's fine by me, means she can get a decent sip. she stridulated as well, which i also take to be a good sign (ie her attitude is normal and her stridulating mechanisms survived the moult)
                          her bottom doesn't look wrinkled now like it did pre-moult....i am looking forward to feeding her up nicely as soon as she's ready!
                          the only strange thing is that she really doesn't seem to have grown much!

in other news, my Phormictopus sp. "Dominican Republic Blue Femur" finally moulted as well...and is one of my most stunning spiders now! the purple on her/his carapace is amazing...no sign of blue yet, but we'll see.
                          Last edited by James Box; 01-03-08, 10:46 PM.
                          -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

My P.Ornata moulted 2 of its legs off last time the fool, it is now an insect.

Comment

Working...
                            X