Great weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great weekend

I went up to Leicester on Saturday to hang out with Colin and Toran and attempt some matings, including my stunning GBB lad.
    had an amazing time hanging out, with off-colour jokes, discussing "mad" theories about tarantulas, learning loads...but the best thing, as always, was the hanging out.
    i met Toran's long-suffering family and his three great dogs, not to mention his fantastic collection of spiders...the stars of which were the Aphonopelma's: A sp "New Rivers", A iodius (GORGEOUS!), A behlei (if i got that right), and A hentzi...though i may be missing another in there.
    the mating was... well uneventful before i had to go find my train...but afterwards, it turned out my lad had apparently mated, but unfortunately ended up as a meal for his girlfriend. i'm really gutted about the loss, but it's the risk you take...not to mention he was on borrowed time as a mature male.
    there's the hope now that his sacrifices will bare fruit.
    i hadn't realised it before, but at 6.5 inches..he was a giant among the men of his kind. RIP lad!
    the other two mating attempts were between Colin's female H lividum and Toran's male (successful, apparently) and Colin's female L parahybana and Toran's male (if i got the gender's right...not successful, she's a right unsociable "little" cow!)
    we also spent most of the time with Dave the owner of Scales and Tails, which turned out to be a class shop. i walked away with an adult C crawshayi and five P imperator scorplings for £70.
    on top of that purchase, i was presented with some lovely spiders from Colin and Toran...including two P fasciata, 2 C andersoni and two RCF G rosea, all slings

thanks for a great Saturday, guys! hope to do it again sometime soon

EDIT: nearly forgot, we did witness something else related to mating...Toran's P irminia had already laid her eggs (we just missed witnessing that sadly), but we got to see her doing some rolling and finally the finished sack as well
    Last edited by James Box; 09-03-08, 10:08 PM.
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

wow! that's sounds fantastic, although I'm sure if you told your friends you were watching tarantula having sex they might look at you strangely!

I may be doing something similar myself next weekend, will let you know how I get on.
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

haha! unfortunately all i got to see was tarantula foreplay lol...but that was pretty interesting, too.
      maybe get to see the actual deed another time.
      my friends already look at me strangely!
      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Nice one James, looking forward to you and Peter coming up now xxx

Peter, I will only be at work for about 1/2 an hour Saturday, just a sales meeting, not on shift, will pm you my phne number on AP.
        spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

yeah i'm looking forward to it as well.
          for me, as great as the spiders are, i really enjoy the social aspect of this hobby as well.
          -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Glad you had a great time James and good luck with the babies. I'll be in Leicester myself next month (though not to do with spiders, unfortunately), there's something about the place that has really grown on me. All the best.
            sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

ooh so James is coming up too, excellent.
              What would be an appropriate time Mary? I'm not much for mornings and I guess at most it would take me 1 & 1/2hrs to get there. I may bring my daughter with me for company if that's OK with you?
              Looking forward to seeing the webquarters
              My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

thanks Nicola
                i'm hoping to get up there for visits here and there, it is a great place. the pet shop we went to is great too. spent far too much time there!
                hope you enjoy your time in that area as well. i'm sure you can find a way to bring spiders into the weekend
                -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

As always, It was a pleasure meeting up and spending some quality spider time with you mate.
                  We did spend a little "extra" time at Daves i know but we all came out with bargains !!!! the shop may only be small in comparison to some but the stocks well looked after, the guys a realist and isn't out to make a quick buck as you found out.
                  A shame about your male GBB but hopefully the patter of hundreds of tiny feet will make up for it later.
                  Tuther way round with the parahybana, my male, Torans "not tonight mate" female

Any time you're ready for another visit, just say the word, you're always welcome.

Colin
                  Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

cheers Colin, don't worry i will! tempted to see if you've got spare time next week as i'm off on holiday lol
                    yeah i'm not complaining about Dave's, those were definitely bargains
                    not so sure about sending my snails to him though lol...he really shouldn't have mentioned the dissections
                    -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Where was this shop James? I wouldn't mind stopping off there and having a look.

Comment

Hi Nicola,

If i can just chip in here, Daves shop is in Wigston (south Leicester)

website http://www.scales-tails.co.uk/

location map is half way down index page on left side.

Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin, you're a star!

Comment

hehe cheers for chipping in, Colin...no way i could've given directions, i was paying less attention to the route than you were
                            how are those snails settling in?
                            Nicola, it's a great shop
                            -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

I know, my driving leaves a little to be desired when it comes to directions eh? then again all roads lead to Rome....apparently

Snails are eating me out of salad and vegies, i took half a dozen over to Yvonne yesterday to add to her ever growing collection of animals.
                              Shane's coming home today so it'll be a little surprise for him, along with the hermits and millipede.

Thanks mate

Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X