Thirsty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thirsty?

Basic stuff this i'm sure... Tarantula's like all living creatures require water to survive. However...what I want to know is this: How long can a Tarantula survive without water? I'm guessing it varies on species due to their native climate. Also- how aware is a Tarantula of whether or not its dehydrating? And to what lengths would a tarantula go to get water?

I ask with this scenario in mind: My G. Rosea (Molly!) is in a large 50 odd litre tank. She likes the tank and there are plenty of hides. In fact its a very beautiful set up. She's spoilt. However- since the makeover that Colin suggested (which by the way looks really nice now I've given her deeper substrate and half buried one of her logs so she can burrow) I've not once seen her drink from her water dish. We're talking here... a couple of months? Since then has been a subsequent moult and she doesnt appear to be ailing in any way so I was wondering if she was likely being sneaky and drinking at night, or whether she gets all the fluid intake she needs through her food or whether I ought to be concerned? She seems to have her favourite side of the tank and the water dish is on the opposite side.

Thoughts appreciated.

If its moulting fine, eating well and generally in good health, I wouldn't worry. It's obviousley getting its fluid intake from some where. Just keep its water dish filled with fresh water, just in case it is drinking from it during the dark hours.

This is just my thoughts and opinion btw!
    Gloria my little Brachypelma smithi.

Comment

Hi Simon,

Glad the makeover all went well, you can't beat a "close" natural environment in my opinion

I know people who do not put water in their spider enclosures at all, and have spiders living normal lifestyles and longevity is normal too.
      Spiders will get practically all their moisture needed to survive from the food items they eat.
      I have small water bowls in all my rosea tanks but only fill them once a month in the winter months (giving them *slightly* higher humidity for this time)
      My colonies (pokies) only get sprayed occasionally in the winter to simulate the rainy season in their homeland.
      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

I would've thought that how humid the tank is would matter a lot, as your T. could well be getting its water from the surrounding 'air' - i.e. water vapour that it breathes in.
        Li'l' Ice Cube the Brachypelma Smithi!!! (As of 13/05/08 !!) But, I'm still gonna refer to it as Ice Cube!
        Pyro the Brachypelma Auratum!!!!!!!!!!

Many, many thanks Louise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X