Scientific names (Latin) pronunciations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nicoladolby View Post
    I won't tell them the one about how the Kangaroo got its name Brendan!!! Its true about the scientific names being from numerous languages, after all the B. baumgarteni is named after the German entomologist Baumgarten; the P. pederseni is named after Pederson; there's two nationalities involved for a start!! Just out of curiosity, is Brachypelma smithi another way of saying Smithie's Brachypelma?
    Now I'm intrigued to know how kangaroo got its name.
    I seem to remember Smith was an esteemed figure in the past who identified the Brachypelma species.
    I've always wondered about P. cambridgei, is it named after Cambridge or someone called by that surname and if so why do we stick an i on the end and why are the surnames not used as Capital letters instead of lowercase?
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
      Now I'm intrigued to know how kangaroo got its name.
      one story is the word "gangurru" refers to the grey Kangaroo, so the word has been generalised to mean the whole family.
      I go along with the explanation that my cousin (who lives near Adelaide) told me after talking to the locals, when the first explorers landed on the continent they were amazed at the strange creature hopping around, when they asked the locals what they were called they said "kangaroo" which in their language meant "i don't know" the explorers thought that it was the name of the animal and so the name stuck.

We use binomial nomenclature to describe species, technically a two part name (although there are exceptions as we know for sub species)
      The genus is always started with a capital letter, the species a lower case. the names should either be italicised or underlined to indicate their presence.
      The "i" after the name basically means "of (belonging to)" or "after (named after)" when a persons name or place is used.
      We don't capitalise the species part of the name if it is a name or place because it changes into a descriptive word
      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Now that's what I call an answer, well done Colin

Show off!

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post

do you pronounce the C in Poecilatheria as a K or as CEE though, both seem to be accepted.

I use the K..

Comment

i'd assume K, if only because it's not Poe-cees, it's Pokies lol
            Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
            -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
            My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I also use the "K", although according to ONE of my latin tutors after an "e" the "c" should be pronounced "cee"
              Good job there was no verbal exam like in the French "O" level.

Comment

lol i bet your Latin tutor was right... the nickname Pokie may have come from someone who didn't know that haha
                Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

It would be nice to go back in time and listen to the Romans talking to get a proper insite into the language eh?
                  Even the Italian language (very close to this topic) has become lazy and there's a difference in how the youngsters speak compared to my age group which differs again to the elders.

Comment

i no wot u mean innit

lol
                    -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Yeah, sorted man, wicked, safe

O come italiano, Sì ordinati uomo, malvagi, sicurezza

Comment

Originally posted by James Box View Post
                        i no wot u mean innit
                        yo blood how ya doin

God I feel old what the hell happened to our language? what was wrong with it to need such drastic changes

respect no wot i sayin

Winston
                        Clinton

Maxine 9 - 9.5 inch Lasiodora Parahybana
                        -------------------------------------------------------
                        Pet charity site http://www.sponsoracat.org.uk/

Comment

language is always changing Clint, take a look back at the "English" language of Shakespeare or better still the language of Chaucer and you'll find its quite different to the language we use today.

IMHO I iz l33t & u iz all noobz

Comment

evolution of languages is fine...laziness isn't innit blud.
                            hehe
                            -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

Whilst vaguely attempting not to stray off topic ( Yup Guilty as charged )
                              Chaucers a fairly good example Peter, but the Shakespoke dude invented his own language and would have spoken exactly the same as someone from the west country.

Comment

exactly! the "language of Shakespeare", not quite what we're using now though. Our language is woven by many sources and evolves as others shape it. Even the meaning changes and like it or not with current trends the good ole vowel is under threat and punctuation is even slacking from stalwarts like the BBC.
                                Personally I like a subject to go off on a tangent as it continues debate on what might otherwise be an answered question.
                                However, scientific names, why do they have that term when many are not scientific at all? !!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X