digging spider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• digging spider

probably it is the way they do it but I was quite surprised to see my C. schmardae dig her burrow by taking big chunks of substrate with her pedipalps and than carry it out to dump it somewhere else in the tank. Always thought they would do it rabbit style with the hind legs...

jan

LOL, all of mine do it with their pedipalps, sometimes carrying loads more than I'd expect. I find it interesting to see how much they carry, how much of a burrow they make and where they dump it. My G. rosea is frequently changing her layout, "ooh lets put a door here" and a couple of weeks later it gets blocked up and another appears elsewhere.
    I don't remember seeing any use their back legs to shift substrate.
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Originally posted by jan soetaert View Post
      probably it is the way they do it but I was quite surprised to see my C. schmardae dig her burrow by taking big chunks of substrate with her pedipalps and than carry it out to dump it somewhere else in the tank. Always thought they would do it rabbit style with the hind legs...

jan
      I always thought they did it with their hind legs, but today I witnessed this action too. I was very surprised and excited too.
      My little smithi has been displaying semi arboreal behaviour lateley but has decided its going burrowing again.
      Gloria my little Brachypelma smithi.

Comment

Working...
      X