Moulting omen.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moulting omen.

My B. smithi juvenille has been in pre-moult since I acquired it back in mid February. Today I has built a huge cavernous burrow. It was only started about 24 hours ago. Anyway, I thought I'd pop in a cricket to see if it wanted a feed. As I went to the cricket keep, I noticed a mealworm (there are two in there) was going through a moult. Nothing strange there, they seem to be moulting every other day. I chose a nice sized cricket and into the tarantula tank it went. Walked straight into the burrow then out again. I took a look later and thought what's it doing? Smiffy must have bitten it in aggression and its now suffering on the substrate. But no, its moulting too! They say these things happen in threes. So is this an omen? Keep your fingers crossed guys and gals.
    Gloria my little Brachypelma smithi.

Well lets hope it's Smiffy that moults and you don't wake up tomorrow to find a wife sized exuvium next to you
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

She is 33 weeks pregnant Colin, so I often wake up expecting to see two people. She's positive it will be coming early. And that's the reason I cannot make it to the 1st Newark Show. When I asked the wife is she minded if I went, she said in that type of voice only a married man can identify "you are aware we having something else happening that's more important around that time don't you!!??"

Comment

yikes, if she moulted before giving birth, that'd be gutting!

hehe can't argue with that tone of voice...but there are other shows
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hi Andrew,
          this might be the perfect strange moment. I log on to find your post about your spider moulting, and I've got a B. bohemi in a pet pal doing the same thing in front of me now! good luck!
          sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Andrew.

Unfortunately i'm not married anymore but my two daughters (18 +20) seem to have inherited that tone of voice anyway AND put it to good use!!!

The BTS in May might be a nice day out for the whole family then eh?
            Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Colin, I've asked that one too, but that's my sons 4th birthday and Michelle has said no. I should be grateful she said yes to getting the smithi in the first place. But I'm definitely off to Newark in December!

p.s. Good luck with the moult Nicola

Comment

I don't beleive my spider some times. The cricket is wondering about, happy as Larry. But Smiffy is now eating the shed exuvium!!

Well whatever makes him/her happy

Comment

is that classed as cannabilism? lol
                  THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

LOL Mathew

The cricket moulted in Smiffy's cage and it's the cricket exuvium that the tarantula has eaten. I'm guessing the word exuvium applies to all invertabrate moults?

Comment

Typical! You try to feed your spider and what does he do? Mind you my P. rufilatas are as bad. when they moult they use the shed exuviums as comfort blankets until their new skins have hardened!
                      sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Working...
                      X