Got woken up at 5 this morning....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Mark,
    I wouldn't worry about housemates finding out. If the landlord is ok then you're fine and if they are responsible adults you'll just get mild curiosity at worst. If they're not responsible adults you'll have a housemate with Pterinochilus venom in them. They won't mess with your spiders a second time!
    sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Pajak View Post
      yup.... and we all travel around in cars powers by rotten dinosaur remains
      exactly!
      Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
      The male gigas i had was treated like royalty for a while, over the first night (after mating) he hung around the entrance to the females burrow, she however was else where digging another (apparently for him). the second night (after mating) he shot off to the new hole and she returned to hers. (strange that he headed straight for the entrance too, the tank was 30 x 20 inch floor area)
      Four more matings were seen, the first three with a hasty retreat, but after the forth the male just turned around and very slowly sauntered off (almost complacently) without hesitating she jumped him and over the next two days kindly piled the "leftovers" in one corner for me to retrieve.
      that's still pretty amazing behaviour, Colin...not quite so much as the rubbing against the fangs thing the male did in the BTS journal article, but instead of legging it, when he KNEW what was behind him...
      oh and the burrow digging, that's also pretty amazing!
      gigas are an underrated species by far!
      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by James Box View Post
        gigas are an underrated species by far!
        As you will find out soon enough grasshopper!!
        Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

indeed!

so Mark (topic return!) are you going to attempt to breed???
          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
          -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Cool,

the tanks are designed in such a way that I should be able to create a simple cross link between the two to minimise any disturbance - then the male can wonder in if he feels like it, or not bother.... up to him!
            That sounds brilliant Mark, and I hope the *little drummer* gets himself into *palp-action*!! lol Let us know how it all goes, and maybe some pics too please?

Comment

oh breeding is definitely on the cards and I'll try and document it as much as possible whatever the outcome - at least I have two males now. Still its a bit strange one has not left his retreat for weeks, he just sits with his feet out.

...and the female is a feisty one!
              See my new blog about Bristol's bug life: Bristol Loves Bugs

Comment

hehehe...maybe the feisty female is exactly why one of those lads stays in his retreat, he's thinking *beggar that, I'm staying in here and the other boy can try her out first*...a wise spider!! LOL

Comment

yes probably - I don't have the reference to hand but I think it has been found that there is a trade off between being eaten and thus providing food for your offspring, or carrying on to mate again and producing more offspring, knackering yourself in the process.
                  (either way can have benefits for lifetime reproductive sucess, if you measure it by the number of children you raise to go on and reproduce themselves.)

or from the non scientific perspective... "Life's a b**** and then you die!!!"
                  Lol!
                  Originally posted by James Box View Post
                  i don't know, having read about a gigas family cohabiting, the male eventually offered himself to the female, almost as if he instinctively knew his time was nearly up, and she could use the protein for the babies...which is pretty amazing behaviour if you ask me.
                  so yeah, they end up as food for something, but then don't we all? so that doesn't really convey any information. even the females end up as dinner for scavenging bugs and bacteria one day.
                  That is cazy but extraordinary behaviour!
                  And yes, we all end up as food cuz even if we are cremated, microorganisms and the other organisms where (and if) the ashes are scattered will still find and and attempt to eat us.
                  yup.... and we all travel around in cars powers by rotten dinosaur remains
                  True; so... the CAR is eating the dinosaurs. Ba******!
                  Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
                  The male gigas i had was treated like royalty for a while, over the first night (after mating) he hung around the entrance to the females burrow, she however was else where digging another (apparently for him). the second night (after mating) he shot off to the new hole and she returned to hers. (strange that he headed straight for the entrance too, the tank was 30 x 20 inch floor area)
                  Four more matings were seen, the first three with a hasty retreat, but after the forth the male just turned around and very slowly sauntered off (almost complacently) without hesitating she jumped him and over the next two days kindly piled the "leftovers" in one corner for me to retrieve.
                  That's crazy, but a fascinating all the same!!!
                  Li'l' Ice Cube the Brachypelma Smithi!!! (As of 13/05/08 !!) But, I'm still gonna refer to it as Ice Cube!
                  Pyro the Brachypelma Auratum!!!!!!!!!!

Many, many thanks Louise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Finally found the original one I was looking for, these are all from the same guy:
                    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOiHzG9n0x8"]YouTube - Poecilotheria rufilata drumming[/ame]
                    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

pictures coming soon -

I bridged the gap between both enclosures last night,

but after a night of drumming (having missed seeing any real action by falling asleep) I have woken up to find the female sitting inside the entrance to the previously carefully constructed deep vertical retreat of the male, and the male sitting inside the rather shoddy looking retreat previously occupied by the female.
                      Last edited by Mark Pajak; 18-04-08, 08:13 AM.
                      See my new blog about Bristol's bug life: Bristol Loves Bugs

Comment

Heh, sounds about right. I can imagine their spidery conversation last night. "How can we mess with him while he's asleep? What's he least expecting us to do?"

Comment

Working...
                        X