Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

very sorry to hear Ray! good luck finding something better!
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
      mmm! reptiles are rather a seperate debate, however its easy to pick up BD as people keep them from babies and sell them on. They're a good starter dragon coz they don't require too much attention but IMO there are much better lizards to choose from.
      You'd be better getting smaller BDs and if you wished to get a ROI I'd suggest a colour strain of yellow or red.
      £275 sounds a lot but I don't know what size enclosure or lizard. Shop price I'd expect the lizard to be between £30-£50 as younger specimens.
      The two BDs are about nine inches (if I remember correctly, but they are definitely young) from head to the end of the tail, the tank being 11" in height and 30" in length (just guessing from memory of what the tank looks like).
      Thanks for the colour strain advice too; I also wouldn't mind getting a lizard as I do not really want a 'big' (more than five inches) reptile. I'll definitely have to look into it at a later stage!
      Originally posted by Oli Dodds View Post
      3 weeks is nothing, ive had spids hide away for 5+ months before without coming out; a few people on here have so its not uncommon.

I dont understand why your asking this if you cant afford them?

BACK TO TOPIC PEOPLE
      Well, I hope to God mine doesn't - but what ever happens, happens. It is just the constant debate that I'd have of whether it is dead or alive!

About the BD, I could afford it if I was to save up, but I want to know for future reference, however I am aware of constant price rises.

Originally posted by Ray Hale View Post
      As stated in a thread elewhere. there is no definitive way to keep a tarantula. I have spent years trying to find the "perfect" set up. I have kept them in glass tanks all nicely planted, I have kept them in plastic boxes, in the dark , in the light, warm and even warmer. ( You will note that I havnt said in the freezer Tesco but hell Ive even kept them there!!!!). My collection has been at 500 adults and down to around 250 now. I have had breeding sucesses and I have had failures. I have had prize specimens die for no reason and I have grown hundreds from spiderling to adult. But throughout all these tribulations I have learned one thing. Enjoy the beast and the hobby. So whilst we can learn from the more experienced we can learn more from ourselves.

PS

I really need to get a job. ( I was made redundant yesterday hence the Yoda like advice....)
      I'm sorry, good luck finding a new job.
      And thank you for the advice, it is interesting to know that you'd experiment with the different living circumstances; you should keep notes of them and the results, piecing it into a book at a later stage!

And thank you, everyone, for the great feedback and advice. IC hasn't eaten the cricket, so it has a chance to live now tih its other crickets, if they do not try to kill him/her themselves!
      Last edited by Richard Shah; 25-04-08, 03:41 PM.
      Li'l' Ice Cube the Brachypelma Smithi!!! (As of 13/05/08 !!) But, I'm still gonna refer to it as Ice Cube!
      Pyro the Brachypelma Auratum!!!!!!!!!!

Many, many thanks Louise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I really need to get a job. ( I was made redundant yesterday hence the Yoda like advice....)
        sorry to hear that ray. i am looking for a new cleaner and gardener if your interested lol, no seriously, i hope you find something else soon
        THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Sorry to hear your unfortunate news Ray, hope something turns up that floats your boat.

Richard, BD grow larger than 5", double that is more realistic! Why not try some Green Anoles, cheap, simple to keep and great for a beginner. They're communal and will happily live with Brown Anoles, frogs and day geckos - that's exactly what I have planned once I get rid of my acquarium
          My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

I'm reading a lot of hostile responses from a couple of people to just about any of Richard's posts. You know who you are, so if you're reading this then please stop being a b***h.

At the end of the day, Richard is going to do what he feels is best, it's his spider and his money. He may have come to this forum to ask for advice, and he may have received some very good advice, but for whatever reasons he has gone against some of that advice. If you dont like that he is asking another question on something he has disregarded and it annoys you that much, then just dont respond. But please dont write snide posts filled with sarcasm and veiled insults. It's a waste of time and it's s*** to read basically.

That said, Richard; if you want to go against some of the advice on here then that's fine, it's your choice, but be prepared that your spider could be worse off for doing so.
            Last edited by Colin D Wilson; 25-04-08, 05:31 PM. Reason: Language

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
              Sorry to hear your unfortunate news Ray, hope something turns up that floats your boat.

Richard, BD grow larger than 5", double that is more realistic! Why not try some Green Anoles, cheap, simple to keep and great for a beginner. They're communal and will happily live with Brown Anoles, frogs and day geckos - that's exactly what I have planned once I get rid of my acquarium
              Yeah I know that the BD is much larger, according to wikipedia, 18-24 inches!
              Great Peter I'll have to check that out; thank you!
              Originally posted by Matt Brett View Post
              I'm reading a lot of hostile responses from a couple of people to just about any of Richard's posts. You know who you are, so if you're reading this then please stop being a b***h.

At the end of the day, Richard is going to do what he feels is best, it's his spider and his money. He may have come to this forum to ask for advice, and he may have received some very good advice, but for whatever reasons he has gone against some of that advice. If you dont like that he is asking another question on something he has disregarded and it annoys you that much, then just dont respond. But please dont write snide posts filled with sarcasm and veiled insults. It's a waste of time and it's s*** to read basically.

That said, Richard; if you want to go against some of the advice on here then that's fine, it's your choice, but be prepared that your spider could be worse off for doing so.
              Thanks Matt but everything is pretty much sorted.
              In response to your last paragraph, I am prepared but I doubt anything will happen to the T., other than it stays burrowed for a while and comes out whenever it finally decides too! Hopefully nothing other than that will happen...

Thanks Matt, and thanks Peter!
              Last edited by Colin D Wilson; 25-04-08, 05:31 PM.
              Li'l' Ice Cube the Brachypelma Smithi!!! (As of 13/05/08 !!) But, I'm still gonna refer to it as Ice Cube!
              Pyro the Brachypelma Auratum!!!!!!!!!!

Many, many thanks Louise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Awww...my sympathies you have...strong you must be, Jedi!! Seriously though Ray, I hope the ending of that particular path puts you onto a better one. *hugs*

Comment

If thats me your referring to, i'll let you know right now (you being a new forum member and all) that if you knew me like many on here do, you would realise im not sarcastic and i dont do veiled insults.
                  I think you need to go and read the rules of this forum again to familiarise yourself with it- especially with language like that

Comment

I'm reading a lot of hostile responses from a couple of people to just about any of Richard's posts.. But please dont write snide posts filled with sarcasm and veiled insults. It's a waste of time and it's s*** to read basically.
                    So dont read it.

BTW ... veiled insults ???

Who and when ?

Isnt that what nearly every post is saying ?

The only time that any of Richard's posts have got out of order is when you started to post on them, so if you dont like what you are reading why dont you take your own advice and dont respond especially with bad language that only you seem to use.

Comment

Thanks Peter and Oli, for the moderation support.

I can only reiterate along the lines of what has already been mentioned.
                      The forum has some long standing members, of which quite a few have met in person and/or share a certain amount of friendly banter when posting.
                      Some new members MAY just see this as a little more to what it is written, some quips and jokey posts may lose the original meaning when in written format (an apt use for the smilie function to emphasise true meaning)

Saying this, the forum is very straight forward, people call a spade a spade, we may have a stern word or two to say occasionally but we all end up buying each other coffee, beer and trading items when we meet face to face.
                      The good thing about the forum is that there is a vast range in experience for the hobbyists that post, this allows the newcomer (and the experienced alike) to pick up on new info and to *slot into* one of the best hobbys to be involved in.

Regards

Colin
                      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Oli, I don't care how 'new' a member I am, you dont get to be 'more right' just because you've been here longer.

As for what I'm talking about (and it wasnt just you);

Sarcasm - "you obviously dont need to ask any more questions because you must already know it all."

More sarcasm - " So as you are now an 'EXPERT' you have no need to ask such a basic question"

Unecessary and general bad feeling - "Can't be bothered answering any more of these questions, it all gets ignored anyway"

Non-constructive - "I dont understand why your asking this if you cant afford them?" (plus no need for the caps afterwards as it is Richard's topic after all

The constructive and helpful replies (there were more, just giving a few examples) were one's like Matthew Spooner's, Ray Hale's and Kate Arbon's. They were all very friendly posts and answered Rich's question, even if they didnt agree on everything Rich was doing.
                        Last edited by Matt Brett; 26-04-08, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Ok this is now turning out to be non productive,

People have had their say, and it's straying way off topic

If any replies need to be made to any of the above points then please do so via PM

Sorry to anyone who was wishing to post an "on Topic" entry

Thread closed

Colin
                          Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Working...
                          X