Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phobias

Hey People

Now, a lot of you collect many tarantulas, and some, like James, many scorpions too. But who here has a fear of other insects/spiders?
    It may seem weird, but I'm pretty sure people who collect tarantulas could be scared of other (or most) insects and/or bugs.
    TBH, flies, wasps and bees scare the hell out of me, and when I see one, I will proceed to kill them, cuz, they really freak me out.
    Other spiders, on the other hand, just make me feel really uncomfortable, if they are in my house. Outside, I find them very fascinating to watch!

Any way, just thought we could express our opinions on the matter, as I think it makes good discussion for tarantula collectors!

Thanks,

Rich
    Li'l' Ice Cube the Brachypelma Smithi!!! (As of 13/05/08 !!) But, I'm still gonna refer to it as Ice Cube!
    Pyro the Brachypelma Auratum!!!!!!!!!!

Many, many thanks Louise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm terrified of slugs, and not overly pleased with snails, either. yes, i know they aren't likely to pounce. but they are slimey.
    i also find maggots revolting.
    i hate phorids because of the fact that they are dangerous to pets.
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by James Box View Post
      i'm terrified of slugs, and not overly pleased with snails, either. yes, i know they aren't likely to pounce. but they are slimey.

Phew!!! Thanks for admitting that James, now I feel normal as I'm glad there is someone else out there that feels the same.

Oh and I cannot sleep if I know there is a moth in my room!!
      Gloria my little Brachypelma smithi.

Comment

good to find a fellow slime hater!
        the irony is that i had 3 giant African landsnails forced upon me by stupid friends who thought it was a favour??? arg!
        anyways...
        i do like moths though...but i can see how something fluttering loudly and randomly in the night could be distracting!
        Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
        -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

well untill about 2 montyhs after getting my first taraantula i had a chronic arachnophbia real spiders tarantulas everything but getting my first spider was a therapy im even getting used to now handling specific spiders (only if i most certainly have to) dsont like ants been bitten by to many and its irratating wasps bees bug me thats about it really
          Proud B.T.S Member

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Ferguson View Post
            Phew!!! Thanks for admitting that James, now I feel normal as I'm glad there is someone else out there that feels the same.

Oh and I cannot sleep if I know there is a moth in my room!!
            Lol, no - me neither.
            i also find maggots revolting.
            i hate phorids because of the fact that they are dangerous to pets.
            Maggots are disgusting; that is why I could never use them for feeding to my T.s!
            Slugs sicken me; snails, I do not mind too much.
            good to find a fellow slime hater!
            the irony is that i had 3 giant African landsnails forced upon me by stupid friends who thought it was a favour??? arg!
            anyways...
            i do like moths though...but i can see how something fluttering loudly and randomly in the night could be distracting!
            Giant African Snails are wicked, imo. I wouldn't mind having some. What happened with yours?
            I remember being out in Kenya, some time back now, and they really fascinated me, due to their size. I think they're quite kl.
            Originally posted by Naython J View Post
            well untill about 2 montyhs after getting my first taraantula i had a chronic arachnophbia real spiders tarantulas everything but getting my first spider was a therapy im even getting used to now handling specific spiders (only if i most certainly have to) dsont like ants been bitten by to many and its irratating wasps bees bug me thats about it really
            I reckon this hobby could help a lot of people!
            Li'l' Ice Cube the Brachypelma Smithi!!! (As of 13/05/08 !!) But, I'm still gonna refer to it as Ice Cube!

Comment

Richard, you're welcome to a fat lot of baby snails!
              -Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

fried in garlic butter and placed amongst a fresh crisp salad sprinkled with chilli flakes, with a nice cold beer to wash it all down
                Gloria my little Brachypelma smithi.

Comment

woodlice for me.....I hate them. What is the point.
                  British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
                  The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
                  On
                  [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Not now, but I'll know who to ask in the future!
                    Originally posted by Andrew Ferguson View Post
                    fried in garlic butter and placed amongst a fresh crisp salad sprinkled with chilli flakes, with a nice cold beer to wash it all down
                    Lol - still something I really, really need to try!
                    Originally posted by Ray Hale View Post
                    True; I used to have fun discovering various ways of killing them, when I was about 7 - 9 years old; now I think I was just cruel!
                    I used to cook them alive, stab them, burn them slow, boil them... I hit a point where I realized it was wrong and quite sick, cuz if I were in their position, I would be in tremedous pain, agony, hate and loathing towards the 'superiors'. I felt bad once I had fully realized and understood this... and hope others alike will too.

However, I have no problem taking a swat, and killing anything that enters my house and makes itself known to me. A few days ago, a fly was soaring through the air, and the buzzing just irratated me; so I took a swat, and whilst it was airbourne, I swung the swat like a sword, and the next thing I see, is two halves of the fly going left and right; I still think that was quite kl...

Anyway, I hope those that kill animals/insects for fun, realize that if we were them, we would suffer brutally, and perish...

Comment

Centipedes !!!!
                      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Hale View Post
                        They're crunchy and taste like prawns, thats the point

My Collection: - Support CB

Comment

Hello all,
                          When I was little I was very arachnophobic but taught myself to understand spiders and now I have no problems.
                          As I told Louise I learnt to fear snakes through experience, though I'm sure I could overcome that fear and I doubt I'll ever find a Boa in the back garden thanks!
                          I'd be wary of picking up a mouse or a rat because if scared they could bite and the thought of the tetanus needle worries me a little.
                          Aside from that there's only one creepy-crawly on this earth I truly hate. The pepsys wasp!
                          sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

i second that nicola what a horrible little bugger!!
                            Proud B.T.S Member

Comment

The Bullet Ant and the Tarantula Hawk... whoa those two creatures are ones I never wanna encounter!

Comment

Working...
                              X